Marriage Ceremony Part 2

by JohnR 6 Replies latest social family

• JohnR
    JohnR

Thanks again to everyone for their comments about what to expect at the wedding. My nephew did go through with it (so did the bride) so I thought I would give some of the highlights.

The ceremony lasted about 45 minutes we were seated for the entire time. The elder talked to the groom and bride about what was expected of them. I tried to count how many times he said jehovah but I lost track after 30. What I found most interesting was that during the talk he would quote Bible phrases and where they could be found at which point about a third of the audience (including my brother) would turn to the page in the Bible with the quote he was using. Very funny to listen to all the page turning. At the end of the ceremony he felt the need to say that the couple did not wish to be pelted with rice. As if as they walked down the aisle to the back of the hall people were going to throw rice.

Everyone had a good time at the reception. Open bar throughout so fun was had by all. They had champaign on the table for dinner but then after the prayer they said that the couple requested no toasts or clinking of glasses. Relatives from my sister-in-law's side of the family asked me why they could not toast I said JWs don't believe in it and left it at that. I guess the champaign just comes with the package.

All the relatives got together for breakfast on Sunday morning to see off the newlyweds. That is except the father of the bride who happens to be an elder. The CO was at their hall for the weekend and the father had already missed the Friday CO meeting because of the rehearsel dinner so he did not make it to our breakfast.

JohnR

• kelpie
    kelpie

Hi John

thanks for the update. I am glad to hear that you had a good time.... Any pictures??

• Prisca
    Prisca

Interesting to hear an outsider's view of Witness weddings. Sounds like you had a good time with your family, and that's the main thing.

Interesting that the Father would not attend the family breakfast. There must have been some elder business he wanted to attend to (or even have some time to himself) in the morning, as JWs usually have their meeting on the Sunday arfternoon when the CO is visiting. Even if they normally have morning meetings, they will switch to the afternoon just for that occasion. It's so the CO can conduct the morning witnessing group, plus attend to any congregational business.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

..."the couple requested no toasts"....

Well OF COURSE they didnt! Goodness me, that would be paying undue prominence to creatures in wishing them well on their marriage. it would be taking five seconds worth of attention OFF Jehovah and putting it onto "creatures". Cant have that....

..."nor clinking of glasses"....

Certainly they are demonstrating a HIGHLY DEVELOPED and finely balanced Christian conscience with that one. Why clinking of glasses indicates what ? ...well it doesnt matter does it!? Some old sister might have opened her gob in shock and offence at that "clinking" and...well... we cant have THAT can we? Well done brother and sister, Im certain you will look back on your wedding day with unparalleled memories of Joy in later years.

• FrankyFourVests
    FrankyFourVests

I was under the impression that the toasts and such were now a conscience matter.

• JohnR
    JohnR

Pictures? Hmmmm Yes, I did take pictures of the ceremony but not at the reception. I still need to get them developed. At this time I am not prepared to share as I am sure the JW side of the family would not want to be pictured here.

Also, the CO was in town for the whole weekend and I guess he and the elders had a meeting on Friday which the Father of the bride missed. The only reason I know is the Father mentioned it at the rehearsal dinner on Friday. The Father was talking to the elder that was to officiate at the wedding when the Father said he was probably going to be in trouble for not being at the meeting but that the CO could get along without him for the day.

Regarding the comments at the hall about no rice and the reception about no toasting. I suppose I'm just sensitive but it was fairly obvious those comments were directed at the non-JW guests and I thought it rather disingenuous to say that the bride and groom requested that we not do those things. I thought it was obvious the "request" came from someone higher up than the bride and groom.

JohnR

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Cripes you people got booze at your wedding?? I have NEVER been to a witness wedding where they allowed booze. Not even a bottle of champagne for the head table...nuttin! Must be a Norweigan thing...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit