Looking for a book for my family

by Elsewhere 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I have been looking for a book to send to my biological family.

So far most have been about someone who was abused and therefore drawn to the Organization and later disillusioned.

I am was a Third Generation JW, which means that even my parents were born into it and is all they really know. In their eyes, the world is full of a bunch of people who have been deceived by Satan.

Does anyone know of a book that describes someone leaving because of the corruption and hypocrisy they saw in the organization? No extreme abuse, molestation, or mental illness.

I also want to avoid doctrinal disputes... I am an atheist and don't feel comfortable disputing the doctrinal details of the organization. How, after all, can an atheist dispute the finer details of a system that he perceives as being fundamentally flawed? It is just not my place.

I just ordered the following two books from Amazon to review them has anyone read them and if so do you have any comments about them?

• Apocalypse Delayed: The Story of Jehovah's Witnesses
    • Jehovah's Witnesses: Their Claims, Doctrinal Changes, and Prophetic Speculation. What Does the Record Show

Edited by - Elsewhere on 4 December 2002 11:38:45

• Inkie
    Inkie

An excellent read is a book entitled "When God Becomes a Drug." I forget the name of the author; however, this book, although not about JW's, reads as though it were. Whatever your experience this book handles it with great insight and understanding. You will learn a lot. And I do mean--a lot!

--Inkie

• Scully
    Scully

When God Becomes a Drug is a book by Leo Booth. It's one of the first books I read when I was on my way out of the org, even before I could get the nerve to read CoC or Apocalypse Delayed.

Other good books are:

• Tired of Trying to Measure Up - Jeff VanVonderen (my personal favorite)
    • The Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse - Jeff VanVonderen and David Johnson
    • People of the Lie - M. Scott Peck

None of these books "attack" the JWs directly. They only point out behaviour in a group or individual that is dysfunctional. The reader will be able to pick up the cues and identify behaviours they see around them that are dysfunctional. If they see something about JWs that identifies them as questionable or abusive or dysfunctional, so be it. You've opened the door without attacking the religion.

Love, Scully

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

A very balanced book is Jim Penton's "Apocalypse Delayed." It is more of a history book than an expose. It shows the good and the bad.

A book that does not mention the JWs at all is "Combatting Cult Mind Control" but you'll see the JW tactics described on every page.

The video "Witnesses of Jehovah" hits all the high points of the history of the JWs in 60 minutes. Although it's a bit dated, it helped me tremendously. I was pretty unnerved as a loyal JW when I saw it. It even has a short clip of C.T. Russell talking about the pyramids.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Eleswhere , so you are looking for a book for your family huh?

I know a good one,,,,,,,, it is called Making Your Family Life Happy......... I think it is by the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society. Ever heard of them?

Do you like your family? If so I would have to say I would save this book for my enemies only, as it will induce vomiting.......hehe,,

sorry, Eleswhere , I couldnt help myself on this one.......... for a moment I thought Jehovah was directing me to help you with your family's needs.......haha.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Well, I just went on a book-buying binge.

I hope you're happy.

Thanks for all of the recommendations!

• Iwasyoungonce
    Iwasyoungonce

"Fearless Love" really moved my wife.

• somebody
    somebody

Hi Elswhere,

Another book ( along with all the others that have been listed) is Scripture Twisting, by James Sire.

It's only 177 pages long, but I find it helpful. It lists 20 ways that cults misread the bible with plenty of common sence explainations of what the scriptures really mean.

Just one more to add your book buying binge!

peace,

gwen

• FiveShadows
    FiveShadows

give them MY book! *Ahem*

"See Jane walk,

See Dick walk,

See Jane Run,

See Dick run,

See Jane cross the street

See Dick get hit by a car.

Moral of the story: Don't be a dick