My First Week As a Cab Driver

by gilwarrior 9 Replies latest jw friends

• gilwarrior
    gilwarrior

Well, I started my job as a cab driver last Saturday. So far it has been going OK. My shift is from 3AM to 3PM. It has been hard waking up early in the morning, but I am getting the hang of it.

Now, since this is a thread by me, I have to vent. Today, I went to the cab area early in the morning, like I normally do. I was told that today I would be put on call. Meaning that I would be given a cab only if someone who was scheduled to get a cab didn't show. OK, that was fine with me. So I was waiting there and I started talking to one of the other cabbies. We then got to a conversation where he told me if I knew what my rank was. (Your rank is based how much money you average a day in rides.) I told him that I didn't know. He told me that when a driver is on call he will get a cab based on his rank. The cabbies who are higher ranked get first shot at a cab. So we go inside the office and see, on the bullitin board the ranks of all the new cab drivers. Out of 26 drivers, there was my name at the very bottom, DEAD LAST! In other words, I had the lowest rank!

At that moment, all my negative feelings came back to me. I kept thinking: I shouldn't be in this job, I'm not good enough, I don't belong here, Everyone is better then me, I should start looking for another job, I suck, and so on. I was also afraid of the possibility of being fired! I don't know if I am making a big deal over nothing, but if I lose this job, I will have to go back to Houston. God, that is the last thing I want to do! I want to stay here in Las Vegas!

Anyway, after I while, I was told to go home and come back tomorrow. I didn't mind missing a day. I needed the R and R, but I was still in panic mode. I thought, "What if don't work tomorrow?" "Could this mean that my days are numbered?" Damn it! This is what exactly what I was afraid was going to happen.

I understand that I did have several disadvantages: 1) I just came to Vegas three months ago, so don't know all the short cuts and paths as well as other cab drivers do. 2) It is only my first week on the job. and 3) My social skills are in the toilet and since being a cab driver requires you to deal with people, this is not exactly a plus.

Also when I got home, I took a nap and had a bad dream. A nightmare you could say. Which is strange since I don't have too many of those. I don't remember what the nightmare was about, but I do remember in the dream that I knew I was dreaming, but that I couldn't distinguish reality from my dream. It was really scary! Imagine the movie "Vanilla Sky." The reason I mention this is because I think my dream may have had to do with my job.

Anyway, thanks for reading my story and I'll let you know what happens in regards to my taxi job in the future

• larc
    larc

Brother Gil, I have followed your story and you ups and downs. I know the feeling of panic you have. I have had it several times in my life. So, let me see what I can say to allay (sp?) your fears. To be sure, you are the new kid on the block so you will have a low ranking. You will rise in rank and get better with time. On your day off, I would get in a car and drive all over the place and learn more about the lay out of the city. Coincidently, I took a cab home today from the grocery store. The cab driver told me how bad the income of drivers are here and how good the are in Las Vegas by comparison. So, you are in a good place for the kind of job you have. Just do your best, and let the chips fall where they may. That is all you can do. I wish you the best.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey gillwarrior,dude you are in Las Vegas.I have vacationed there since I was a kid.. Remember taxi driver is not your only option..You come from a family of bakers.There are very nice hotels in Vegas,with very nice restaurants in them.Pantry Chefs are always looking for good staff..Tell him of your baking experience..Check it out ..OUTLAW

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

I'm sure the rank thingy is only because you just started. There is another way to look at it. Maybe there is a big turn-around at that company. If so and you hang in there you'll be closer to the top of the list before you know it.

Hang in there gil.

plum

• freedom96
    freedom96

So are you having any success at all? Anything going on, making any money? I have a couple of friends that live there, and they say getting a job is fairly easy. They say simply don't give up, and that there are so many drunks and gamblers that live there, they just want someone to show up and work.

Keep plugging away. You will make it if you keep trying. Vegas is attitude, and show. Even if your personality is not one to be outgoing, change. It will make all the difference on how you do financially. You will be happier too.

Good luck!!

• Prisca
    Prisca

Hang in there. The reason why you're at the bottom of the rank is because it was your first day on the job! Give it a couple of weeks, and you'll soon get to be known by the others. Who knows? You might make some new friends!

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

yeah Gil. Before long youll be able to say:

"You talkin to me? Are you talkin to ME? Well theres nobody else here.....Who the ++++ do you think YOURE TALKIN TO!!??"

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

This is what happens to guys who try to cut in on your road space....

Edited by - refiners fire on 2 December 2002 3:59:59

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

umm something to think about

drive limos

my hubby is an ex-cabbie. He now drives limos

a much nicer job

• imanaliento
    imanaliento

Outlaw said you come from a family of Bakers? we had a neighbor move recently who's son is going to baker school in Kansas, have you thought about that?(I mean working as one) with your experience you could do well in that field that has a demand, at least you'd get to eat. also we have a neice that went to culinary school and doing quite well. Yes people need rides,and they also go out to eat, but being a baker you'd be cleaning up after yourself and not whatever gets in the cab.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit