Ready, set, GO

by Gig 2 Replies latest jw friends

• Gig
    Gig

I believe all of you will be happy to hear that a JW friend of mine is finally willing to listen to me. I have slowly but surely been breaking off little tid-bits of info about why I can't see the one true religion thing happening with the WTS. I have resisted the tremendous urge to "let 'em have it" and patience is prevailing. I realize just how far I have yet to go and I know at any given point the WT walls can spring up again. So very carefully I want to inch forward. I know too that my friend has to have their own reasons for questioning, otherwise it's my word against the WT. But they seemingly have that reason, otherwise they wouldn't even agree to listen. From my previous comments to them they know basically what to expect, in a word...criticism, it seems like I just have to prove it. I could start with showing the WT mag language as the propaganda (won't use that word) that it is. How the stop-words work and the blurring of the line of authority. OR, do you think I should start with a real Bible study, or maybe show them where their NWT differs from practically every other Bible? OR, should I start with the obvious cases of pure dishonesty like the Should You Believe in the Trinity booklet. You guys ever follow up on some of their source references? Unbelieveable half-quoting and deceit. Anyway, I hope to get from you all your best ideas, if I start off wrong it might be impossible to get started again. Credibility is huge. I don't want the humorous side of this unless your comments are especially funny, then please do make me laugh...I could use it.

Gig

• rebel
    rebel

Hi Gig,

Personally, I'd leave out the Bible study bit. All you need to do is explain why you left and the sincere reasons you have for questioning the WT. It isn't up to you to make up your friend's mind for him/her - that's what the WTBTS is doing all the time. It makes you sit, have a study, swallow what they teach and believe it or else. Just explain why you felt some things didn't ring true. If they are questioning things anyway, I am sure they will find their way. Do they have access to the net? If so, direct them to a site such as this - I know it has certainly helped me in a very short space of time. The people here have such tremendous knowledge about the Bible and they don't judge you. You could just say you are there whenever they feel the need to talk. Don't be tempted to go in too strong.

Just my thoughts anyway

xxR

• Buster
    Buster

I faded away because I wasn't going to take the direction from those clowns. But I felt my eyes were opened when I took some scriptures that they are most fond of quoting and did some work. I read the surrounding chapters. Then, if the book was small enough, read it. Then I went onto the web and read some non-witness (and I don't mean anti-witness) commentary.

This process built an appreciation for the message of the bible's components. The JW 'approach it like a jigsaw puzzle where the few enlighted get to interpret and tell the rest us' just seemed more and more absurd.

It feels like a slow process. But it really drove the point for me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit