Jesus' Name

by Utopian_Raindrops 2 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Utopian_Raindrops
    Utopian_Raindrops

Ok I have a question...does anyone know why we call JESUS.....well JESUS...I mean he was Jewish and His Hebrew name was Yeshua. So why did the whole world adopt the Greek version of His name? I do like it and all but, with Jehovah now...depending on where you live you call him by HIS name in YOUR language not the Hebrew Language.

Also, Peter was called Cyphus and Paul...Apollos.

So can someone tell me why we don't personalize Jesus to our own cultures and languages........and since we don't....why do we use the GREEK instead of the Hebrew?

Ty for listening

bye bye 4 now

agape,

Utopian Raindrops

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Very good questions.

I would like to know the answers also.

• Navigator
    Navigator

Utopian Raindrops

I think that if you research it you will find that Peter's name was Simon. He was called Cephas which is a nickname that would have been used only by his most intimate friends. It means "stonehead" and implies that Simon was a bit slow to grasp new ideas. The greek translator of the now lost aramaic accounts translated Cephas as Petra (rock) and was probably not aware of the somewhat derrogatory nature of the name. It makes one somewhat suspicious of the phrase used by the Catholic Church to support the idea of the papacy.... .and upon this rock I will build my church.

The information on the meaning of the name Cephas came from an article by Dr. Rocco Errico, head of the Noura Foundation which specializes in aramaic language and culture.

Edited by - Navigator on 1 December 2002 18:31:8

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit