Venus and Serena "after the Oprah show"

by Mulan 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

Venus and Serena Williams continued their discussion about their life, with Oprah, after the regular show. Some areas of the country show that segment later in the evening. My niece saw it and said they DID talk about being witnesses, and the Bible and so on.

There is a video of that continuation of the show on Oprah's website. Here it is:

http://www.oprah.com/tows/after/200211/tows_after_20021127.jhtml

It is short. Move the slider about 2/3 over and you will hear the pertinent comments. They actually do a good job, I thought.

Edited by - mulan on 29 November 2002 19:35:44

• Shakita
    Shakita

Hi Mulan:

"You do your personal best. And, God reads your heart." Venus says this at the end of the interview. Oprah seemed very impressed at this.

They seem like very nice women. It's ashame that they can't see the forest through the trees.

I would like to know what kind of hours they put in service and how many books and magazines they place. To call themselves Jehovah's Witnesses they must be active witnesses. How in the world do they separate being a Witness(separated from the world) and being an international tennis star(worldly ambition?) Only God knows!

They really do seem like great people, let's hope that they join the real world soon.

Mrs. Shakita

• JH
    JH

Edited by - jh on 29 November 2002 21:19:21

• Mulan
    Mulan

I doubt they are baptized They seem to be very sweet, sincere young women, with a great Mom.

• Utopian_Raindrops
    Utopian_Raindrops

I know It is hard to believe because of all the presure one feels under at the meetings.... but it realy has always been a conscience matter as to if you could be in sports....theatre...work towards fame...etc.

I remember an article of horse breeders who choose not to continue thier trade due to that the horses would be used for gambling and the article added they choose that themselves.

My whole fam has talents in the arts and although some did not like our extra activitys I encouraged (still do) my children to be the best they can be at what ever they love.

I let them know that all thier natural talents are God given and should not wasted.

Peoples gifts are an example of how wonderfully we are made!

As always the scriptures must be the FINAL advisor as to what we should do.

So we looked for anything that said we should give up our arts.

Turns out in Genesis 4:21 there is Jubal who was the inventor of instruments. And King David was a musician who wrote most of the Psalms...and mny JW's who play music go to Bethel to record the music for our Kingdoms Songs and other things....There are artists that work at Bethel to Illustrate The Magazines and now even actors for the videos!

So the answer was absolutely No giving up on the arts! I told the children they could use thier talents to glorify Jehovah and His Son.

Then one pipes up,"What if one of us becomes famous?" hehehe So,cute.

Kids these days!

So I went into how they should always do thier best BUT, fame should not be thier modivation... love of the art itself should move them to want to attain higher levels of performance. STILL just incase...not to worry of fame. There was no man more Famous in Egypt then Joseph and he seemed to handle his popularity and service to Jehovah well. So they should not be faint out of fear and unable to move and progress but, instead eager to show Jehovah's love and majesty through the gifts he has given them.

After all if you do not shy away you can reach alot of people through informal witnessing

Ty for listening.

bye bye 4 now

agape,

Utopian Raindrops

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit