Questions about meds and therapy ( general)

by Cyn 7 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Cyn
    Cyn

Hello,

I am rather knew here and not very "talkative"...... I DO have some questions that I hope to get some answers for......

#1. Do doctors perscribe 3 medications at on time if they suspect that you are bipolar or do they begin with one and add on????

#2. Does depakote cause weight gain ( or has it for those who have taken it )?

#3. What type of therapy ( therapist) is recommened for PTSD???

Thank you in advance. for any help.....and please excuse my "sounding" dry but I am feeling numb aand blunted emotionally...............

Thank you again,

Cyn........

• wednesday
    wednesday

That varies quite a lot. Some docs prefer to start with one med and then add on if one is not effective. Sometimes they will prescribe a mood stablizer (like depakote) and an anti depressnt at the same time. All docs have a way they like to approach things and No it is not unusual to be prescribed 3 meds at one time. If u are concerend, seek a second opinion.

yes depakote frequently causes weight gain, as does a lot of the psychiatric meds.Depakote is actually an anti-convulsant but it is used very frequently for bipolar illness . there is a new one out-called topamax. it does not cause weight gain. U might ask your doc if he prescribes it. Note-i am not advocating this drug, only telling u it does not cause weight gain.

Finding the right meds for any psychiatric illness can be tricky. It is often trial and error. A big problem with bipolar is often people will take the meds for a while and then quit. They usually get worse rapidly. so whatever, follow your docs suggestions. as i said if you are worried about your meds-obtain a second opinion. Ptsd is very difficult. So sorry to hear u must deal with this. I would recommednd u ask your doc for the name of a therapist who works with this problem.

u are not alone, ask your doc about local supoort groups. Do a search on the internet about support groups geared toward this. Your therapist should be able to help u find a group.

Good luck. and welcome to the board.

Edited by - wednesday on 29 November 2002 18:3:19

• ugg
    ugg

i am sorry for what you are going through....be assured you are not alone....it is nice to see you here.....i hope you can find some comfort....hang in there.....hugs....

• Beans
    Beans

Good Question, wish I knew the answer! My Mom has been on medication since 1978 and I believe the body gets used to one type after a while and can fight it off after some time and then your perscription will change. Someone once said to me they start at A and work down to Z in many of these situations.

http://Quotes.JehovahsWitnesses.com

Beans

• Imbue
    Imbue
    #1. Do doctors prescribe 3 medications at on time if they suspect that you are bipolar or do they begin with one and add on????

Usually a combination of medications are prescribed after diagnosing and not for just suspecting someone is bipolar. Are you taking Depakote, Wellbutrin and Zyprexa?

#2. Does depakote cause weight gain ( or has it for those who have taken it )?

It can for some people and you need to follow up with valporic acid blood levels to make sure that Depakote is at therapeutic level. There maybe other medication options if this is too much of a problem. However, Depakote has less side effects than some other medications in this category.

#3. What type of therapy ( therapist) is recommend for PTSD???
    Didn't your psychiatrist recommend what you need or did he just medicate you and wave goodbye? I suggest that you call your county department of mental heath/hygiene and get a referral. There are many good support groups and individual therapy options Here is a great link for information about the drugs you are taking. http://support4hope.com/medications/index.htm If you are feeling numb because of the medications you should discuss alternatives with your psychiatrist.
  • happysunshine
    happysunshine

Hang in there!

One note of caution: remember that this is your challenge, you have the final say. I have more than one very close friend who went through the mental health system. Don't think of the doctors as knowing everything - a kind of new priesthood. They don't. I've heard their efforts to heal the mind compared to a man with a stone hammer trying to cut a beautiful diamond. They just don't know everything. The danger comes when they try to give authoratative guidance on issues they aren't 100% sure of- namely your life.

One close friend was on meds for 6 years, but the original diagnosis would completely change depending on who he saw and how he was currently acting! A new 'label'. Scary! One general M.D., open to the general public, even suggested that he may be a repressed homosexual. He made this 'professional diagnosis' after 5 minites, and threw my friend out after 10 upon finding out he actualy did have heterosexual preferences. His parting words- "I can't help you then."

Another guy I went to school with until recently was recommended for Cambridge university to do his masters in neuro-psycology, focusing on psyciatric drugs. He did a psychology/philosopy dual undergrad honors major- a smart dude. I was shocked last year when he told me he frequently had suicidal thoughts. He said there was no way he would tell a couselour or take antidepressants. He had already done interns at psychiatric hospitals and said the success rate, and drug knowledge, was so low that he would rather find another way to deal with.

In all these cases, anyone of these medical doctors has the power to institutinalize you for up to 7 days against your will. They can actualy call the police to enforce it.

I'm not trying to scare you. I'm trying to empower you. I guess what I'm trying to say is be careful, and believe inyourself. I really think that a wholistic (community, food, lifestyle, etc...) solution is best. Primarily because it is self-maintaining. Drugs and doctors can't live with you forever. Take care- J

P.S.- I'm just trying to help. Really. If this info is too upsetting for you, just forget it. Take care.

Edited by - happysunshine on 30 November 2002 19:15:4

• Imbue
    Imbue

Your name Happysunshine is sarcastic eh? Medications have also helped many people. I've heard patients rejoice because taking lithium was like a light when on for them. Your friend is doing the worst thing he can do to himself with suicidal thoughts. His self diagnosing and refusing to try treatment isn't the answer. Many people continue to suffer with mental illness unnecessarily because they are afraid to take medication. "I'm not trying to scare you. I'm trying to empower you. I guess what I'm trying to say is be careful, and believe inyourself. I really think that a holistic (community, food, lifestyle, etc...) solution is best. Primarily because it is self-maintaining. Drugs and doctors can't live with you forever. Take care- J" A holistic lifestyle isn't a cure for a person with a chemical imbalance. If that were true then you would have the cure for mental illness. Of course anyone can benefit from a healthier life style, but it can't cure mental illness. Cyn, It's all on an individual basis and don't give up after trying just one combination of medication. As for your DR. being able to place you in a psychiatric ward for seven days against your will. That is not true depending on where you live. It's very difficult to be placed in a psych ward in the US against your will. I hope you were diagnosed by a psychiatrist rather than a general practitioner. A good physician would refer you to a psychiatrist rather than try to diagnose a mental illness.

Edited by - imbue on 30 November 2002 20:37:32

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Since most people have discussed medications I won't go there but I do have the following posted on my web site. It was written for abuse survivors but you can easily substitute that for PTSD.

Many of the women that I talk to have spent a lot of time looking for a good therapist. Sadly, many have not been helped by the professionals they have seen or worse still some have been abused by therapists. Finding good therapy and support as you heal is important and can require effort on your part to find someone you can feel comfortable with, safe and with whom you can work.

You will be talking about things that are highly personal and perhaps you have never told some of these things to anyone before. Having your trust violated and betrayed in the past can make it difficult to try to trust anyone again. You may have told people before only to find it thrown back at you or have found out that your secrets have been told to others. Or you made have been made fun of or your experiences minimized.

Finding help to deal with your abuse experiences is important to your healing. Building a good support system is essential to help you through the process. A good support network can include a lot of different elements. Supportive friends and family, perhaps a self-help group or group counseling and individual counseling can provide the needed help when things get difficult. Reading information about the type of abuse you have experienced as well as information on the recovery process will give you an idea of what to expect and make the process less overwhelming and scary.

A lot of people are intimidated by therapists. Usually we go see a therapist when we are feeling most vulnerable. That makes it difficult to feel like an equal when meeting prospective therapists. The reality is that you are hiring somebody to do a job for you. You want somebody who is qualified, knowledgeable and understanding. You also need somebody who will see the therapeutic relationship as a partnership. You do not give up your rights to make decisions for your life. The therapist is a guide not a dictator (those are the abusive ones). Together you work as a team trying to deal with the various problems and issues that have been created as a result of the abuse.

You need to interview this person to whom you are going to tell your innermost secrets to. Some therapists hate this. They think that since they have the education, they are the best judge of what you need. If you meet one like this RUN . . . FAST.

Another really important thing to know about is how much does this person understand about your issues. Some people (therapists) included blame the victim, or think you should keep the family together no matter what. Some therapists think they know what's wrong with you and start telling you how to run your life or decide for you what kind of abuse you've been through. Some want to get everybody on pills to hide the problems. While there might be situations where medication is necessary, it should never replace good solid counseling.

Some therapists are survivors themselves. This can be an excellent choice of therapist IF the person has dealt with their own issues. If they haven't then it is very likely they won't be able to help you. But a therapist/survivor who has done their own healing work, can understand the process in a way that many others cannot. This does not mean that a person who has not been abused cannot be a good therapist. Many are. They just bring different things into the process. Either way, it can be helpful. Some therapists won't disclose their personal history. Then it depends on your comfort level about knowing or not knowing. If it becomes an issue then perhaps you need to find somebody else.

Therapy is a place where you get to practice new skills for dealing with problems and situations. You should be able to tell a good therapist when you are uncomfortable with something that is happening in the therapeutic relationship. Some therapists will always place the blame on the client. This is abuse. Nobody is always right, therapists included. If you are feeling uncomfortable, you need to talk about it. If the therapist does put the blame on you (You misunderstood; That's not what happened; That's only your past talking) leave. This is your opportunity to take back your power. Anybody who refuses to admit they make mistakes is a potential abuser (emotionally) and that's what you're there to learn to change -- how to take care of yourself and how to get out of abusive relationships.

You might also want to ask how much experience they have in dealing with abuse issues, how long they have been working and how long they have been working with the kind of abuse you have experienced? What books have they read? Do they recommend reading, journaling, art therapy, self-help groups? Do they do family or couple counseling when needed? What are their fees, cancellation rules, contact outside of office hours? Can you contact them in an emergency? How?

What is important here is that you both understand how you will work together. It is something you negotiate together. Problems get discussed. Slowly you learn that you have a voice in the therapeutic relationship. After that you go out into the world and use what you have learned on relationships in your life. Good Luck and take good care of yourself.

There is a wide variety of counselors one can see - psychiatrists, psychologists, counselors, social workers and a variety of others. Make sure they are what they claim to be. ASK QUESTIONS. Sadly sometimes people ask for more credentials for a new plumber than they do for a good therapist

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit