Curious about organic food? Ask Prince Charles

by IronGland 3 Replies latest jw friends

• IronGland
    IronGland

LOL. I was at the Watchtower website reading the article on organic food. Under the heading of how it might be dangerous they say that Prince Charles of England thinks we might be overstepping our bounds into God's territory. First, if something is God's territory i'm sure he can prevent us from entering it. The other thought I had was, why do the WT writers feel that quoting a famous person who has nothing to do with the subject at hand proves a point? What's next? "How should a christian facing cancer treatment decide what course of action to take? Let's ask People Magazines sexiest man of the year, Ben Afleck for his opinion."

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Prince Charles DOES actually have a stake in this - he is an "organic" farmer! That is to say, he owns a farm or two which produce "organic" produce. The "organic" lobby has always confused me with their rejection of GE crops - surely producing more and tastier food on less land using less pesticide and fertiliser are the goals of their group - so why do they reject a technology which is probably the one which will deliver the goods on their wishlist? I always thought GE crops grown by organic methods was a good idea - they obviously don't.

Accepting Prince Charles testimony on this subject is like accepting the sugar industry funded finding which showed that cyclamates were cancer causing.

Edited by - Stephanus on 26 November 2002 22:40:41

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

That Watchtower article is interesting - they want to warn the punters against hoping too much in technology than in their paradise earth promise and they want to reconfirm their own suspicions of science which "tampers" with life - cf. the blood dogma. However, they are faced with the fact that Americans, Canadians and others have been eating genetically modified foods for years with no ill-effect. Their last three sentences are interesting:

However, there is no real evidence that God disapproves of the selective breeding of animals and plants, something that has helped our planet to sustain the billions of people living on it. Only time will tell if modern biotechnology will harm humans and the environment. If biotechnology really does encroach upon "the realms that belong to God," thenout of love and concern for humankindhe can reverse such developments.
    They are trying to make their loyal followers fearful of science, yet acknowledging that there may not be much choice, so it will be one of their infamous "conscience matters"....
  • Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

Oh yeah, Prince Charles of England (what happened to the rest of Britain? Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland will be delighted to learn they have been released from the monarchy). Well, you can ask him about almost anything, because he uses his status to spout off about all sorts of things he has ABSOLUTELY NO QUALIFICATION TO COMMENT ON.

Yeah, and his personal life is exemplary too.

PFFFT!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit