How did you successfully move on...?

by Vee 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Vee
    Vee

There are actually some questions at the bottom of this lengthy thesis, however I thought a bit (ha ha) of background might be necessary first:-)

Some 12months ago after the switch flicked over in my head, I began the challenge of facing my fears head on, which led to breaking through the first mental barriers of the damage done by 22 years (from birth) of indoctrination.. The fear of loosing all I had was insignificant in comparison to denying myself any further what it really meant to be true to myself. For the first time, I could honestly attribute that all my mental strength and decisions were of my own accord. This new found mental freedom gave me such peace and happiness that I thought I could fly. The strength I drew from knowing that I could really trust and believe in myself would then help to bolster me for the onslaught of emotional battering that would follow.

You know what I just realised?! I think I may have started to set this one out like one of those life experiences in the back of the WT (which I would always read slowly to hopefully get through to P13 of the WTS :)

During the roughly 6month period of my mental acknowledgment of my awakening to my fizzling out I dealt with the situation as rationally and logically as I could. When I was being ostracized and abandoned by my family I used the benefit of having the way I used to think (just like themaaaaaaaarrrrrgggghhhhhhh!!!) fresh in mind to help me logically comprehend their impersonal pre-programmed reactions. This helped me not to be less irrational, but to be articulate in my responses to their interrogations. It has been some months since then and having had some unrestrained and uncensored time to think, and attempt to re-establish I no longer have emotional insight into the way I used to think. As the very thought of these teachings and behaviours makes me almost physically sick. I hate that the brain washing and indoctrination is still so very much with me though. Every day I find there is something that triggers in me and old automated response, and it really REALLY disturbs me!

I know that I will work through it as my new philosophy of life begins to take shape. Im excited by this prospect, despite the fact that every once in a while (once a week!) having to work so hard at 23 to re-establish yourself entirely with no support really gets me down. I try to pick myself up quickly out of these down times, because I refuse to let my history with the JW organisation suck any more life out of me, to use it as an excuse for further periods of mysery.

One of the first triggers for me was that after yet another bad experience I realised that all I had in my life was false. I knew, but fought it from when I was 17 out of fear of god and man that the organisations beliefs were not insinc with my own personal ideologies. I knew that at the first sign of trouble I would be dropped at a hat, that the people who should be there to support you when you really needed it would not be, and I in turn if I stayed connected could not be there for them. I began to see that I wasnt rebellious or bad as I had so many times as a young person been labelled. I was born in the now, and just living the life that I was entitled to lead, one which I directed for myself in good conscience.

Q1. I wonder for all of you who have had the same experiences and are successfully travelling down the road to recovery; How and where did you stat in rebuilding your life when you lost everything you knew, everyone you loved? Im so determined to do it on my own, and am conscious while knowing we need people in our lives to be self sufficient in this respect. I for too long depended on a false sense of security and will not depend on anything like it again.

Q3. My other question and I would love to hear your experiences is; What became of the relationship you had with close family members? I myself have not been formally DFd and have not lost all lines of communication with all of my family members. But, I find it almost impossible to think that this can possibly continue since we are without doubt oil and water now. Earlier in the year when I ceased attending meetings and associating with JWs I decided that after sitting on many JCs that the elders had no right to judge me and condemn me by the WTSs standards, nor were they entitled to private information about me that should be of no consequence to them. This is when I decided that my formally excommunicating myself from them that I might be saying that they do have the right to discipline me?! I knew that they werent interested in my personal reasonings, and if I did try I would just have misinterpreted scriptures quoted to me my rote. I would not sit outside the back school once again while the committee decided my fate, and future because of what I knew was right for me. The problem now though, is that I feel that one of my sisters and my mother who still takes my phone calls, and are still very devout in their faith, are hiding behind the lack of formality behind my decision not to DA myself. My eldest sister and her husband have made it clear to me that they will have nothing to do with me, and wished me a good life. In some bizarre way I almost respect her more for it (very strange considering she has been so callous and cruel to me!). My mum says its not necessary and my other sister agrees. I just began to feel a couple of weeks ago that I wanted to put their unconditional love (ha ha) to the test, and that I didnt want to be given or taken at their free will and convenience of conscience. I thought perhaps by formalising my clear decision to them so that there werent any doubts about the seriousness of my decision that this would some help get me more closure in this respect?. But Im still unsure of what the right thing to do would be (mind you I have moved directly to the other side of the world since then!).

I know that I will never have a close relationship, if any with my 7 brothers and sisters and parents again. I also know that I have no regrets about the intellectual decision I made to leave the JW organisation, and would not trade it in a million years for a moment to have it back the way it was. I know that in hindsight that everything I had was fake. I also know that I will make it out of all of this to real happiness, despite how hard an impossible it seems at times.

Thanks every so much for hearing me out. I cannot tell you how refreshing your discussion threads have been for me. I am truly impressed with the balance that many of you have attained since you have left the extreme ways of the JW organisation behind. I cant thank-you enough for all the good this last week of logging on to your site has done for me, although Im sure many of you have had much the same experience.

Love & Hugs, V**

• JT
    JT

In my veiw the most important step to move on "successfully" is to HAVE A PLAN

without it you will find yourself at a loss much longer than you need to be as you struggle to find what, where , how , etc to go.

the most important step in your plan must be the need to build a new Cliente' of Friends, long before you annouce you are leaving or not annouce you are leaving you must start to build new assoicates

at work, join a club, hobby group, volunteer soup kitchen, start college, bottom line YOU MUST START MAKING NEW FRIENDS

the cutting off of assoication is the wt biggest weapon, be it family or former friends-

step 2 you must decide how you want to leave WITH GUNS BLAZING or just ride off into the sunset

now just a note, the WT Legal Dept wants you to leave with guns blazing, -

3 try to have some fun, on your way out, like counting time in service turn in 8-10 hours and never go out in service - SMILE

ALWAYS HAVE A GRIN on your face as you start to miss meetings-

and decide just how much you want to tell jw about your choices you are not under any obligation to tell any damn thing

YOU SEE they felt NO OBLIGATION to tell you that you should have went to college, setup retirement , had kids and that you would NEVER SIT UNDER SOME TRICKING FIG TREE AND PLAY WITH THE LIONS

they felt no obligation to tell you the real deal , therefore you are under none either

stick close to the net, find some folks who have thier emails open - email them and try to contact them OFF LINE,

TRUST ME talking to OFF LINE and meeting former IN PERSONS there is nothing like it to help you on the road

if you like call me at

202-336-8792

if i ain't here leave a message i will call you back

welcome to freedom

• SpannerintheWorks
    SpannerintheWorks

Hello, Vee, it's great to have you here!

I was just wondering what it was, specifically, that first made you question the WBTS?

Spanner

• Carmel
    Carmel

The first thing I did upon leaving and being Df'd was to define what kind of life I wanted, what type of friends I wanted and what outlook on life I would have. Sounds easy but in reality, a 15 year old doesn't have that many paradigms to choose from. Shortly thereafter I decided when challenged by my family, to list a number of qualities a religion would have to have before I would associate with it. I went to university, married, raised wonderful children and had the life I envisioned and finally found a faith that met and exceeded my expectations.

Hope you find your way and enjoy life.

carmel

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

Hello Vee,

It seems you have thought through this problem a whole lot better than the rest of us. In fact, I wish you had written that some 20 years ago when I decided to walk. As far as your Mother and Sister are concerned I would maintain contact with them as long they don't force the issue. That's may idea and it may be worth what you paid for it. As far as the elders are concerned, the most important person in all of this knows they have no control over you already, you, and knowledge can be a very powerful tool.

• freedom96
    freedom96

I agree with a posting earlier, that it is a must that you find new friends, ones that are supportive of you, regardless of religion, beliefs, etc.

• Vee
    Vee

Dear Spanner,

As you can see probably tell I'm not too good with specifics or summarising!

When I was 17 I left the org and had become involved in a relationship outside of the org. I came back a year later and was put of restrictions. After some time of relapsing it had been some 2 years since I had last been on "restrictions", and it seemed like pioneering was the next logical step. So I dropped my 5 day working week down to 4 days. Some 3 months later from nowhere appeared the man I had been in a relationship with from when I was 17/18. I was a strong person but I faced an enormous amount of difficulty facing up to him because of my past. I knew I still had incredible guilt about it all. He began to give me after 3 years a very difficult time to come back to him, one of the hardest things I had ever been faced to deal with as an adolescent. After months of trying to thwart him off on the phone I weakened and agreed to meet him but only to talk. This of course was an incredibly stupid thing to do. I couldn't tell my sisters as they had already critisised and judged me heavily for even speaking with him on the phone, and I knew they didn't really care as to how hard this time was for me. When I went to meet him he cornered me and I thought that he was going to rape me. I knew that I had put myself in a compromising stupid situation, but instead of support and understanding of how traumatic it was for me I had to sit on a JC, and was once again put on restrictions. I will never forget when I went back into the room and the elder said with a smirk that "they had decided not to disfellowship me, but next time I won't be so lucky".

At that very moment I knew that every part of my life was in their control, my happiness and my freedom, because of my fear of not conforming.

At this point I quickly became aware that the individuality I thought I possessed was not really mine. My eyes became open as it were that there were people outside the org that had balance in their lives. And although the couple I knew respected me for my principles and ideals, I knew that I was not like them, I knew that I had not established them on my own merits, or questioned them at any depth. This quickly left me realising that I was far from being true to myself. That I was just a drone attached to the hive mind.

As a whole I would say it was the inconsistencies between what I knew in my heart was real Christian love but what I knew couldn't possibly exist within the constraints of the Borg (I luv that!).

V**

• Iwasyoungonce
    Iwasyoungonce

Vee, Consider some books on healthy relationships. Learn what that means. Some people escape bad relationships into the jw's or some other authoritarian group. They trade one person or system of control for another. Then when they leave again they look for someone or something else to tell them what to do and someone who will allow them to blame someone or something else. When a person chooses to take control of themselves they will quickly outgrow the jw's. Staying will not be an option. Philip Mcgraw has good books. A man by the name of Smally has good books and seminars. He even does video series that focus on succeeding in relationships. Ericcson wrote that when we are growing up we hear 17 negative comments for every one positive comment about what we do. (Do you think that neg # is higher with jw kids?) As adults we can hear 17 positive statements and it only takes one negative comment to wipe them out and make us grumpy or bitter. (I find that amazing) I have begun doing everything possible to affirm my kids, in fact everyone around me that I can. I do what I can to not be negative around people. I also do not accept negative comments that others give me. I let them know that I do not accept garbage. Often they say OK. But I have found JW's go manic. Then they avoid me. Which is good.

• Vee
    Vee

Thank-you all, for your wisdom and understanding. It's so great to know there is real understanding out there.

Luv V**

• SpannerintheWorks
    SpannerintheWorks

Vee,

As a whole I would say it was the inconsistencies between what I knew in my heart was real Christian love but what I knew couldn't possibly exist within the constraints of the Borg (I luv that!).

I luv that, too!

Spanner

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit