A year in the life of a JW

by outbackaussie 5 Replies latest jw experiences

• outbackaussie
    outbackaussie

Having posted my account of growing up as a JW and subsequent departure, I decided to go back and read my diary from 1988...my pioneer year, I turned 16 LOL

It has been quite a laugh and I thought it may amuse some here, or at the very least provide some light relief from the mundane realities of life for a time :) So here are the best bits of January 1988 for your reading pleasure. (for the sake of privacy I will only use first names)

January 1 1988 Happy New Year

Went to Stuart and Craig's and did congregation accounts then went to the beach.

January 7

Knocked back from Auxilliary pioneering - not build my hours up for long enough.

January 16

Went to the hall site (in prep for a quickbuild) after my study with Sandie.

January 19

At bookstudy Stuart tried to get me to say what was wrong but he can't understand that I can't say what. It hurts so much but I can't tell him, how much longer do I have to hold my feelings in? He doesn't know that by trying to help he is cutting me up inside. (I had a major crush on this particular chap LOL)

January 28

Lift to meeting with Dubbie. Stuart said he wasn't angry with me and that nothing was wrong. Why is he lying? Put in FS report and Auxillary form again.

Field Service stats for the month:

61 hours
    29 mags
    5 Return visits

Well, what an exciting start to the year, congregational accounting and field service. It is worth noting that at this time I am one month shy of 16 and my intended beau, Stuart is 19/20. The joyous life of a young witness.

Edited by - outbackaussie on 26 November 2002 1:55:13

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Aux Pio is very hard on teenagers. They're expected to be adept at speaking with strangers and finding interest. A very hard ask. I note you made 5 RV in 61 hours. I bet that was a hard month, wasn't it?

It makes me think: Why did we put the kids through this? IMO that's a form of emotional abuse too.

Thanks for the sharing, outback.

Cheers, Ozzie

• outbackaussie
    outbackaussie

Ozzie, what is funny is that I recall all of it so clearly!! Even little stuff like I kept a note of who I worked with in the field, or who gave the talk and I can almost hear the talk! Scary stuff LOL

I agree about pioneering being a big challenge for teens, but then I never felt that way at the time, I guess when you are raised with it and have done the TMS stuff for 10 years before even trying it out on the unsuspecting public (the poor things) it seems natural and exciting. I know I was so disappointed to be knocked back from aux pioneering that month. I was not shy either so public speaking was fun for me ( I was probably an upstart with hindsight).

• BLISSISIGNORANCE
    BLISSISIGNORANCE

welcome outback. so many newbie ozzies, what can be left in the KHs? nice to have you here. i'm new myself and really enjoy the live chat. maybe one evening we'll get together on the chat and exchange some experiences. there are really great people on this site, same hard knocks and lies.............common bond. the truth sets us free, thank goodness. keep in touch and speak to you soon.

cheers, bliss

• kelpie
    kelpie

I think the number of aussies is slowwwwwwly growing.....

Sorry I know this is old but I saw it and had to commment..

OutBack.. I pioneered for 5 years (regular and aux) I hated it but did it because it was expected of me.

Kelps

• rolling rock
    rolling rock

Nice thread...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit