Government wants to legislate against kids bras

by ozziepost 5 Replies latest social family

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

I hadn't been aware of national governments being interested in such things, but here's a news item today from 'downunder' showing what the Australian Federal Government is concerned about. I wonder if this will appear in "Watching the World" in the next issue of Awake!

16:31 AEST Tue 26 Nov 2002
    Parents urged to boycott kid bras

Federal Minister for Children Larry Anthony called on parents to boycott padded bras, low-cut tops and other provocative clothes aimed at girls as young as eight.

He said the racy clothing would bring unwarranted attention to young girls, and children should enjoy being kids rather than trying to dress and act older than they are.

NSW Women's Minister Sandra Nori raised the problem last week, saying warped messages on body image were being sent to pre-teen girls through the retailing of sexually inappropriate clothing.

Chain-stores were marketing padded bras to children as young as eight, Ms Nori said.

Mr Anthony said it was the responsibility of parents not to allow their girls buy or wear the clothes.

advertisement
    advertisement
    "The first thing we need to do is let kids be kids," he told AAP.

"Before you know it they'll be grown up and they'll be at Schoolies Week.

"The last thing we need to do is to try and see our children wear provocative clothes which may bring unwarranted attention.

"You're a kid only once, you're an adult a long time.

"Let kids be kids and I think parents should say enough is enough and don't buy the products."

Mr Anthony, the father of an eight-year-old girl, said with television, magazines and video games there was already enough pressure on children and families.

He said it was not prudent for young girls to be seen in provocative clothing.

"They should be kids and they'll face the adventures of life later on but not at this stage," he said.

Target on Monday announced its biggest-ever new product line launch with the fashion label of United States teen superstars Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen.

The mary-kateandashley brand products were singled out by Ms Nori as products offering six-year-olds the same clothing as 16-year-olds.

AAP 2002

• Simon
    Simon

Actually, I think this is a good idea. I don't think it's right that young girls try to dress up 'sexy' because it is dumb and dangerous.

• blondie
    blondie

In my day, many didn't wear bras and some burned them (not when they had them on of course). The bra is a torture device invented by men. Women of the world, unhook.

How many ladies out there remember "training" bras?

I always wondered what would have prevented Eve (who wore nothing) from having hers (breasts) down to her knees?

Blondie(who hated bras and and had to be dragged screaming to a store to buy one)

• Dia
    Dia

I agree with Simon.

There is way too much pressure of a sexual nature on girls of inappropriate ages.

I applaude the government for speaking up. The more people who speak up, the more 'back-up' parents have when trying to impose reasonable bounds on their kids.

Schools too, can provide back-up by just banning certain types of clothing. The good ones do.

• Utopian_Raindrops
    Utopian_Raindrops

Wow!! Talk about BIG Government!!

Although it is very true little children should dress as such and it has been a topic since young Brooke Shields did work for Calvin and posed topless at 12 for Playboy.

Ones Government should not inforce everything right down to how you dress your children!!

Nobody ever learns from the United States proabition on drinking!

The more you try to control people the MORE they rebel!!

Did anyone notice in Genesis Adam and Eve had very few RULES and mostly Freedom to do as they pleased?

Before Eve...Adam spent most of his time studying the earth...studying the animals and thier enviroment. Most likely Jehovah even instructed him some as Adam had questions for him.(Such As,"How come all the animals have a honey and i don't?!")

Although I agree little children should not dress sexy....I feel the best way to STOP abuse of any kind is with education....NOT to enforce rigid laws.

They think by making a National dress code that abuse of young children will lessen.

This is far from the truth as men and women who do those things do not do it because the child was dressed a certain way. Ask any victum of abuse. They could have been in a burlap sack and thier abuser would have still done as he/she Pleased.

This kind of abuse is about power,lust,selfishness,And a lack of LOVE. Not clothes and make up.

The more Governments try to make a law for everything...the more the people(even good people) feel restricted and and suffocated.

That is how the Soviet Union fell and as the bible for tells....so will all the other corrupt oppressors of the people.

Ty for listening.

bye bye 4 now.

agape,

Utopian Raindrops

• JT
    JT

I agree we should not have little girls dressing like a grown woman, problem is the gov can't do it- it must come from the values instilled at home-

the gov has no place- the parents are the key in helping thier children walk the mine field of life

we have spent tons of threads on child molestation and now to turn around and suggest that a 8yr dress like she is a 17 or 18 yr woman is almost a joke

got to come from the parents and then society in general, but if not from the home it will be very difficult

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit