Greatest Act of Love

by meadow77 5 Replies latest jw friends

• meadow77
    meadow77

This is for people trying to talk to their families that are still in the JW"S.

Try asking them if Jehovah has performed the greatest act of love

The Bible says there is no greater love than that a man should lay down his life for his friend.

Only Jesus has done that.

Why would they want a god who couldn't perform the greatest act of love?

Edited by - meadow77 on 25 November 2002 21:25:11

• IronGland
    IronGland

Is this" greatest act of love" the crucifiction? Granted crucifiction was extremely unpleasant,but if I were given the option to undergo torture,followed by three days of death after which I get to sit at my fathers side for all eternity in judgment of humanity, I'd buy the nails myself. Why is being willing to undergo that ordeal considered so great? Some American POW's in Vietnam lived through worse and they didn't have the advantage of being a deity.

• meadow77
    meadow77

Oh Hi again Iron. Yes the greatest act was dying on the cross. I had to edit my message. I know you apparently don't believe in the bible, but I can hardly think of anyone who suffered more than Christ Jesus, and all after leading a sinless life. No, nobody else "gets" to be a diety, but isn't that the point. He is a diety, and never had to come down here and experience the pain that he did. He did it to save us from our sins.

• IronGland
    IronGland

You can't think of anyone who has suffered more than Jesus? Crucifiction was a common punishment in those day, so I would imagine everyone suffered equally. I guess you are referring to his anguish over sinful mankind. You mentioned he did it to save us from our sins. Is the Supreme ruler of all incapable of simply saying 'I forgive you,my wayward creatures'? Or is even God himself bound by some Law of the Universe that calls for blood sacrifice before one can forgive?

Edited by - irongland on 25 November 2002 21:48:35

• meadow77
    meadow77

It is true that Jesus suffered extreme physical torment, but no, I was not trying to say no-one else has ever suffered like him physically. I was trying to point out the the emotional anguish of taking on the sin of the world, and having them spit on your face, as you die an agonizing death for them. I think that this coupled with the physical elements of Jesus's death certainly make it an ordeal no one has ever faced.

• IronGland
    IronGland

Why would an omnipotent god need to become flesh in order to sacrifice himself to himself, so that his creations may escape the wrath of himself?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit