STIGMATA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by d0rkyd00d 2 Replies latest jw friends

• d0rkyd00d
    d0rkyd00d

A few months back, i saw the movie stigmata. The actual idea of stigmata did not fascinate me (stigmata is the marks appearing on the body that resemble the wounds of Christ). But throughout the movie the underlying theme were the lost scrolls recovered in 1945 or something like that. I forgot what they are called....something like the copper scrolls or something. I honestly don't remember. However, according to the movie, a millionare found these ancient scrolls. supposedly, they were the closest record of Jesus' actual life. Does anybody have any information on these scrolls? I do know that the Roman Catholic Church is the owner of these scrolls, and hides them. They say the scrolls are "heresy", and there is no basis for them, yet still refuse to give them to the public. ANYBODY HAVE INFO ON THIS SUBJECT?!??!?

• RavynX
    RavynX

Sure do. They are the Nag Hammadi Library. They were discovered in Nag Hammadi Egypt by a shepherd. They were in clay jars in a cave. He actually destroyed some of them because when he opened the ancient jars they puffed up dust and fragments and he thought it was a genie! But fortunately word got around and before his old mum could toss anymore on the fire to keep warm they were rescued. It took until the 1970's before they mysteriously found their way to the US(by hook and by crook since they were Egyptian National treasures) and apparently it did take a millionaire to put together a translation committee. Years of scandal and hesitation, then finally after a new committee was formed, they were finally translated in the 1990's. You can buy the complete volume for about $20 at any good book store, it is called the Nag Hammadi Library, editted by Michael Robinson. you can also find it online at www.gnosis.com(click on Nag Hammadi Library link). Elaine Pagels is also a noteworthy author who studies this subject and she has written numerous books on the subject, most especially the 'Gospels' included in the Nag Hammadi. Also interesting reading on this subject is 'The Other Bible' by Willis Barnstone, also available for about $20 at any good book store. for an irreverent look at Gnostic Scripture(funny-but very accurate!) go to the Gnostic Friends Network at www.enemies.com (warning take it with a grain of salt!)
    enjoy!
    RavynX

• d0rkyd00d
    d0rkyd00d

Thanx for the info.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit