New opinion on Memorials

by ChileanRick 9 Replies latest jw friends

• ChileanRick
    ChileanRick

Here in Chile, when the times of memorial its near, you can see a lot of brothers and sister buying new clothes for that ocassion. So, when you are attending the memorial meeting, you can feel nobody is listening really. Everybody is looking how are the others clothed, who is a visitor, and when the meeting gets and end, nobody is really interested in other ones, but only in its friends.

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

You're right, it's a fashion show. It is such a ritual that the average JW can sleep right through the ceremony and not miss anything. They mostly look forward to the after-memorial going out to eat.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Now I KNOW that I am DIRT in there eyes!! Even when I was regular, or when I was a child, my family nor myself was EVER invited anywhere after the Memorial. Guess we were not dressed well enough.

Wonder what everyone will be wearing at Armageddon???

I'd better get ready now so I can be invited.....................................

Wing Commander

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

Don't worry - I was too never part of the 'in' crowd in most halls (moved too much). Didn't help that my mother was very 'zealous' and found that ANY 'wordly' or non-Jesus related activity was strictly banned. We spent the entire day in FS, reading bible and WTs and that's about it. No TV, non-JW books, etc allowed. And NO after meeting out-to-dinners. I never understood how you were supposed to spend 12-15 hours of a single day thinking about Jesus and nothing else all day!

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Don't you think they should change the name of the Memorial to "The Night We Watch the Bread and Wine Go By?"

• TD
    TD

It's hard to blame the Witnesses really. The Memorial is one of the coldest, driest, most stilted, most impersonal religious services I've ever seen. It's small wonder that what they're really looking forward to is going out afterwards and having a real meal with whomever their friends are.

• Francois
    Francois

I have developed the custom of getting together with friends who are OUT at any and all times and in the evenings about sundown we will stop for a few minutes to acknowledge our spiritual connections with one another and thank the cosmos for making that kind of closeness possible through the example of The Master. Then we'll pass around one glass of wine followed by one plate of bread. It's an atmosphere highly contemplative for about a half hour. Then we get back to the group grope. No, just kidding. We do get back to whatever it was we were doing. But we do this all the time. That once a year bullshit is just that, bullshit. The effect is that we grow closer and closer all the time and freer and freer of our past with the WTBTS. Try this with your group of friends if you're not doing it already.

• Mary
    Mary

I usually go over to some ex-Witness' house after the Memorial and have all the bread and wine I want!!

• meadow77
    meadow77

I am surprised by the J.W. idea of communion, as I am anybody elses. First of all we understand that we are all to "do this in remembrance of me", not just some special elite class. Second of all, since when did communion consists of a shot glass of grape juice, and an I don't even know where those wafers come from. Jesus and his followers had a feast. Jesus broke the bread. He didn't put a microscopic yuk wafer in his mouth, and he didn't make rules for who could or could not partake. Just one more thing that most christians have backwards, and that the JW's have really backwards.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Does the Memorial resemble anything Jesus and his followers did at the Last Supper? Did anyone refuse to partake of the emblems (the bread and wine)? "Take and eat." "Take and drink." And everyone there did. Part of the remembrance IS the eating and drinking.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit