Huh? Watchtower necklace charms?!!

by DanTheMan 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

On page 105 of her book Awakening of a Jehovah's Witness, Diane Wilson writes that she knew many Witness women "who wore a charm of a watchtower on a necklace as an outward symbol of the organization, the source of their salvation".

I have never heard of this practice, and I find it difficult to believe. Can anyone verify that this indeed is true, that at one time it was common for JW women to wear watchtower charms?

• outbackaussie
    outbackaussie

That isn't one that I heard of here in Australia.

• songmistress
    songmistress

In our area, a number of sisters had necklaces of the tetragramaton. No different from wearing a cross IMHO.

Blessings

Cheryl

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Might have been a local fashion. A dear JW friend of mine had a gold ring with the Tetragrammaton engraved on the outside and "Jehovah loves you" on the inside. It never became a local fashion but everybody thought it was a pretty trinket.

Some people around here (Northern California) used to have YHWH bumper stickers on their cars because they were just so darn proud to be True Christians TM , until some public speaker advised against it because "it would look bad if you were seen driving recklessly with the Divine Name on your car."

gently feral

• Sangdigger
    Sangdigger

dantheman,

My wifes aunt wears one around her neck. A gold necklace with a small emblem of a tower. The same one used on the cover of the WT magazines. OF course my ex-jw sister-n-law pointed out to her it was no different than a cross.

• minimus
    minimus

"The Christian Congregation" does not want anyone copying that Watchtower!

• Mulan
    Mulan

I think there was a company that made the WT tie tacks and lapel tacks with the tower. I don't remember seeing a necklace or a charm of one, but I can see how there might have been some.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit