Who is Shiloh?

by jgnat 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jgnat
    jgnat

What got me studying Shiloh?

The following is extracted from WT October 1, 2002 Comfort in a Troubled World, Nov 24 Study, Cultivate Obedience as the End Draws Near Paragraphs 1, 2. The article goes on to explain how the Faithful and Discreet Slave are ambassadors substituting for Christ(para 4). Here are the beginning paragraphs:

1 Obedience to Jehovah has often involved obedience to his representatives..(

examples are given and Isaiah 9:6,7 is referenced).Jacob prophesied about this future ruler: "The Scepter will not turn aside from Judah, neither the commanders staff from between his feet, until Shiloh comes; and to him the obedience of the peoples will belong." Genesis 49:10 NWT

2 "Shiloh" is a Hebrew term meaning "He Whose It is" or "He to Whom it Belongs". Yes, Shiloh would inherit nothing less than the right to rulership, as symbolized by the scepter, and the power to command...

The message here is Shilohs right to rule and command. Is this an accurate interpretation of the scriptures? I took a closer look, and concluded that the prophesy that started with Jacob in Genesis, and repeated by Zecharaiah, was fulfilled in Mark 11 when Jesus entered Jerusalem on a colt. Jesus replaced the old law with a higher law based on humility, sacrifice, and mercy that glorious day he entered Jerusalem. I base these conclusions on a study on the meaning of Shiloh, and the intertwining prophesy and fulfillment with the humble image Jesus riding the back of a young colt on the way to his own death.

The Meaning of Shiloh

The Reasoning book gives the definition of Shiloh as "He Whose It Is", but I do not know where that originates from. The word and its root gives a strong message of peace and contentment. Here is Strongs definition of Shiloh:

shee-lo': From H7951; tranquil; Shiloh, an epithet of the Messiah: - Shiloh. Genesis 49:9-11 is the only use of this word.

shaw-law', shaw-lav' H7951: The second form being used in Job 3:26 a primitive root; to be tranquil, that is, secure or successful: - be happy, prosper, be in safety.

All the references for H7951 and H7961 (Shiloh) indeed have to do with tranquillity and contentment. The NWT consistently translates this word as carefree, at ease, free from care. (1Ch 4:40, Job 3:26, 12:6, 16:12, 20:20, 21:23, Psa 73:12, 122:6, Lam 1:5, Jer 12:1, Eze 23:42 Zec 7:6-7). Shiloh will be a different kind of ruler than has ever been seen before.

Shiloh is Also a Place

Shiloh was the town where the worship tent was set up after the conquest of Canaan. Shiloh became the centre of Israel's worship, and the tent was replaced by a more permanent building. Each year a special festival was held there. About 1050 BC, Shiloh was destroyed by the Philistines. I concluded from this that Shiloh is also associated with worship.

Jacobs Prophecy

Instead of starting with Isaiah (as the WT study did), lets start at the beginning. Jacob gave this prophesy to his son, Judah.

And Jacob called unto his sons, and said: gather yourselves together, that I may tell you that which shall befall you in the latter days... Judah is a lion's whelp; From the prey, my son, thou art gone up: He stooped down, he couched as a lion, And as a lioness; who shall rouse him up? The sceptre shall not depart from Judah, Nor the ruler's staff from between his feet, Until Shiloh come: And unto him shall the obedience of the peoples be. Binding his foal unto the vine, And his ass's colt unto the choice vine; He hath washed his garments in wine, And his vesture in the blood of grapes: Genesis 49:1, 9-11 ASV

Judah was the tribe responsible for worship, and as we can see from above, Shiloh is also strongly associated with worship. Judah's ruler's staff will transfer to Shiloh when he comes. And how will we know the rulership transfer has come? We will see the young colt. And the new ruler will wash his garments in blood.

Zechariahs Prophecy

Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion; shout, O daughter of Jerusalem: behold, thy king cometh unto thee; he is just, and having salvation; lowly, and riding upon an ass, even upon a colt the foal of an ass. Zec 9:9 ASV

This king will be a different kind of ruler than has ever been seen before.

The Gospel Accounts

And finally, Jesus directly references Zechariahs prophecy in Matthew's account of Jesus' ride in to Jerusalem:

Now this is come to pass, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken through the prophet, saying, Tell ye the daughter of Zion, Behold, thy King cometh unto thee, Meek, and riding upon an ass, And upon a colt the foal of an ass. And the disciples went, and did even as Jesus appointed them, and brought the ass, and the colt, and put on them their garments; and he sat thereon. And the most part of the multitude spread their garments in the way; and others cut branches from the trees, and spread them in the way. And the multitudes that went before him, and that followed, cried, saying, Hosanna to the son of David: Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord; Hosanna in the highest. Matthew 21:4-9 ASV

Mark, Luke, and John also added their accounts (Mark 11:4-10 Luke 19:30-40 John 2:12-16). The event was marked by music, celebration and dancing - worship to a new kind of King. The people who recognized him and worshipped him were the simple folk of Jerusalem. They celebrated and obeyed a King who gave his life instead of taking lives.

Judah's ruler's staff transferred to Shiloh when he came. He came humbly, riding on a young colt. And our new ruler washed his garments in blood. Our new king established a new covenant, asking us to remember Him by drinking the blood of grapes, His blood, which he freely gave for our lives. Therefore the old law of obedience to rules and commands is replaced by the higher law of humility, sacrifice, and mercy. The slant given by the WTS article is wrong. Jacobs prophecy was not intended to enforce obedience, but to bring tranquillity and contentment to ordinary people everywhere.

Note:

Italics are quotes from WT materials.

I use Quotes for bible references.
  • A Paduan
    A Paduan

" Shiloh is the name of the place where Samuel hears God calling him to be a leader of the people. In the middle of the night he listens. Shiloh is a 'place of listening'. Listening - non-judgemental companionship."

In this area the name Shiloh is used for the ministry (rc) supporting those with hiv.

paduan

• jgnat
    jgnat

Thanks, A Paduan, for responding to a rather dry and quiet post. The women danced in the vineyards on festival days (Judges 21:19-23). I read that Hannah went here to worship, so Eli and his sons were there already. Samuel must have stuck around. It seems to me that Shiloh would be a nice, peaceful town to put down roots and build a home (at least until the Philistines got there).

I wanted to bring in a broader perspective than offered in the WTS article, which suggested that Shiloh symbolizes the right to rule and command.

Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Mat 11:28 ASV

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Cool Thread!

Brown-Driver-Briggs' Hebrew Definitions: "Shiloh"

H7886
    שׁילה
    shı̂ylôh
    BDB Definition:
    1) he whose it is, that which belongs to him, tranquillity
    1a) meaning uncertain
    Part of Speech: noun?
    A Related Word by BDB/Strongs Number: from H7951

• jgnat
    jgnat

So THAT is where the definition came from. Thanks, Undisfellowshipped. With Shiloh's association with tranquility, this word still provides connotations of comfort and security. It brings to mind the relationship my granddaughter has with my daughter. When she gets an owie or is feeling insecure, no one else will do but her mommy. I hear at least once a day, "She is MINE mommy. She is not YOURS mommy!"

• JofSalem
    JofSalem

Hello jgnat,

Shiloh? Check this out!!

But the one shown to be the rider of the "White Horse" here at Revelation 6:2, can also be shown in scripture to be the one we call "Shiloh", who is supposed to specifically show up "in the final part of the days". that's during our day and time. So the designation of "Shiloh" too, then would not apply to Jesus Christ either, contrary to popular belief. Appropriately, "Shiloh" should be understood to be the coming mystery "Chieftain" of Ezekiel 44:1-3. -- See Genesis 49:1, 10

For the rest of the story go to:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=41087&site=3

That article will tie together The rider of the white horse, Ezekiel's mystery chieftain, and Shiloh.

Shalom, JofSalem

• jgnat
    jgnat

You are quoting a quote from what source? Is Shiloh used at Revelation 6:2, or is than an inference from something else? I brought this up to point out that the WTS, for whatever reason, are ignoring the strong association this word has with peace and tranquility, rather than authority.

• bjc2read
    bjc2read

"Shiloh", as mentioned in Gen. 49:10, is a person.

bjc

• jgnat
    jgnat

I agree with you, bjc2read. What you name a person has significance, as well. Since Shiloh is also a place associated with peace and tranquility, I believe the name is associated with peace and tranquility as well. For instance, my middle name means "God's Pearl", which I think is lovely. I try to live up to my name.

I think it is significant that the WTS choses to ignore this sense of meaning, and focuses entirely on rulership.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit