Keeping an open mind about different religions

by Elsewhere 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Sometimes I find myself struggling to keep an open mind about different religions... this one is really pushing it for me.

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

Religion is the single greatest travesty in the history of mankind.

In the name of God, MILLIONS upon MILLIONS have been raped and murdered.

The Holy Crusades, the Spanish Inquisition, the Intifadeh.. the list goes on and on.

Funny how God does not seem to intervene in any of these activities which would constitute as blasphemous and slanderous to his name. Then again he has not intervened or gotten off his throne lately has he? Last time I remember God actually doing something that could be constituted as action was way back in that book of fairy tales called the Bible. And if you believe that shit? Your dumber than I thought.

All God is to me is an absentee landlord.

Look at the verifiable facts and not assumptions based on faith, and you will see for yourself.

In the name of religion men are given titles and power, unimaginable amounts of money, and the ability to manipulate and control other people like herds of sheep to the slaughter. (WT is an excellent example of how they control their R&F in every aspect of their lives)

Then again I am an atheist. Fuck God (used merely as an expression to convey my contempt for religion, because how could I use such coarse speech to something that does not exist?)

Edited by - Reborn2002 on 22 November 2002 13:18:24

• kelsey007
    kelsey007

Sounds kind of like the Bush administration.....

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Primitive cultures do primitive things. And these violent cultures usually are guilty of ignoring the core spirituality of their particular sacred texts and instead result to violence to protect their culture and cultural religious beliefs.

The Watchtower Society is a prime example of this. While not engaging in actual physical violence, it has engaged in violence all the same by splitting up families through their protectionist policies. Does the Watchtower submit to the Bible in governing its policies and procedures? Hardly. Much of the Society's doctrine and policies can be overturned quite simply by using the very sacred text it claims to be guided by. The same applies to the Muslims mentioned in the above CNN article.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

How many wives did Mohamad have? It was quite a lot. However, not has much as Solomon. With all those wives, it must have been a nightmare trying to get into the bathroom in the morning! Yea!!!

This News Story also reminds me of the recent News Story about what would Jesus drive if he was here on earth today, that it would not be an SUV. Everyone knows that JC arrived here on Earth in 1914, so he would be driving a Model T.

Everyone has an agenda......."Making the Truth your own?"

Edited by - thichi on 22 November 2002 14:41:40

Edited by - thichi on 22 November 2002 16:29:10

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

What irony! Mohammed and Allah would not approve of the Miss World beauty contest, but they have no problem with looting, pillaging, rioting and murder! Makes me want to puke!

• Mary
    Mary

That's their twisted logic.................

• dolphman
    dolphman

You know what...i've had it. Fuck muslims. I know it's not nice to say "Fuck Muslims" but seriously, FUCK MUSLIMS

I mean, what it comes down to is this: People can no longer say "it's the work of a few extremist"...For christ's sake someone says something like"the prophet Mohammed would approve of the pagaent" and before you know every muslim in Nigeria has an excuse to go around stabbing whoever. What the hell? Not just extremist either, c'mon....good muslims who think it's blasphemous are doing it too. It's the very nature of Islam to take such things to an extreme. Killing in the name of the prophet is totally justifiable apparently. I'm sorry, but the extreme nature of Islam breeds these kind of things. Ye

Of course Christians have their crazies, but c'mon...i can write "Jesus would have approved of the pageant" in the newspaper and i doublt i'd be stabbed for it. Our christian snipers are few and far between, and i can't think of anyone who really approves of it. Of course, I'm sure the muslims think this is just dandy.

Muslims need to recognize their ultra-literal interpretation of their faith greatly inhibits their ability for us to accept them into civilized society. And to believe that all muslims aren't nuts in general.

they got a lot of work to do....

• gold_morning
    gold_morning

Actually, Satan loves many of the religions out there because it takes the focus off of Jesus and puts it onto men.

He is the great deceiver. He uses just enough truth to make something wong look right.

If a religion is not teaching the REAL Jesus .. Meaning salvation comes only thru Him, not their religion......keep looking!!

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Murder and religion have been happy bed fellows for a very long time.

Man and murder have been happy bed fellows for a very long time.

Is there some correlation here? Religion has nothing to do with God and everything to do with man.

Jesus, Ghandi, Lincoln and so many others who spoke out against the tyranny of man were killed or otherwise silenced.

Man is his own worse enemy and his own god! He will accept no other god but himself, this is why he makes God in his own image.

IW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit