I sent this to Angus Stewart this morning (Easter Standard Time)

by Viviane 49 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Viviane
    Viviane

Here is the response I received. So... an online gift certificate emailed to him for a Scotch seller online would probably work, I am going to ask him :)

Thank you XXXX for your interest and support. Thank you also for the offer of a bottle of Scotch. I must say that your mail is more than adequate thanks and even if you were to send me a bottle I would unfortunately probably have to trash it as there may be people out there wishing me harm. So please accept that your mail on its own means a lot to me.

Kind regards

Angus Stewart SC

Barrister, New Chambers

Level 34, 126 Phillip Street, Sydney, NSW 2000, Australia

P +61 2 9151 2079 | F +61 2 9233 1850 | DX 187 Sydney

[email protected] | www.newchambers.com.au

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Viviane - Well done and Thank you. Your letter inspired me to send this letter to Mr. Stewart. This is from a personal family members experience.

Mr. Stewart,

I hope you doing well today. I just wanted to thank you for your excellent work and questioning of the Jehovah’s Witnesses in the past days of hearings.

You have done your home work and actually know more about this organization then most J.W’s. Since most of them have never seen ALL the elders and branch letters brought to the attention of this commission. Also, no regular member of the congregation would ever be allowed access to the Elders ”Shepherd the Flock of God” Book.

When a member of the congregation is asked to speak with the Elders. Many of them do not know the rules or the procedures, but the Elders do. It is a one sided process. I have a family member that took a problem to the Elders to be helped, within a few days a J.C. meeting was conducted and they walked out disfellowshipped. They were shocked, they thought they going to get comfort and consul from the bible. Instead they were kick out to fend for themselves. They had to beg and plead for over 2 year to be reinstated. Their crime, sleeping with their boy friend before they were married. She felt guilty and kept it quite for a few years after they were married. Then took it to the Elders.

This brings me to the one issue in the Flock book that really highlights the double standard of the Elders and the Watchtower’s men in power. Please refer to the Flock book page 38, par 19 and 20. The topic. If it comes to light or an appointed brother confesses that he has committed a disfellowshipping offense years in the past. The information states if a elder has committed a wrong doing and some time has past (more than a few years ago). And the Elder has not come forward and reported his wrongdoing to the body of Elders (he hid his sin). Well since some time has past, he can remain an elder? This is a get out jail free card given to the men in power and not to the regular members of the congregation. My family member was D.F’d, if she was a male and an Elder, she could have kept her wrong doing secret for a few years, then confessed, and still continue to serve as an active Elder in Judgement of others.

It would be wonderful if you could use this information in your case to highlight and broadcast this information so ALL of Jehovah’s Witnesses and the general public would know what really goes on behind closed doors.

Thank you for your time.

I must remain anonymous or I will be removed from the Congregation for my views and expressing them.

• Viviane
    Viviane

Toes Up, great letter. I went a slightly different route.... My response:

Thank you for your reply, Mr. Stewart. That was an angle I had not considered, that some people may be wishing you harm and it's a good one to keep in mind.

I do know that you understand that, for many people who have dealt with these issues, for decades there was no hope of justice, no hope of recompense. It is a bit of hyperbole, but not not much, I think, to suggest that you are Obi Wan and Superman rolled into one for those victims, their only hope and and the one that can defeat the super villain. I'm not attempting dramatics, but there are thousands and thousands of victims, their friends and families following this with amazement, wonder and joy that someone is finally breaking through the wall of secrecy and bringing as least the hope of justice.
    So, I wasn't planning on personally shipping you a bottle, but rather ordering a bottle from someone like the Whisky Exchange and having them package and ship it. Alternatively, they also do gift certificates. I probably should have made that more clear, but either way. I am looking forward to watching today's proceedings.
    Good luck and godspeed, Mr. Stewart.
    Thanks,XXXX
  • StrongHaiku
    StrongHaiku
    Viviane, your correspondence to Mr. Stewart both made me laugh and cry. Nicely done. Thanks. I really needed a bit of joy today.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

Jeezus.

How often do public servants get fan mail?

• ToesUp
    ToesUp
    Viviane - great follow-up response. Your email got his attention!
  • maksutov
    maksutov

I also sent Mr Stewart an e-mail yesterday, and received a reply this morning. As we're sharing, here's what I said:

Mr Stewart.

I would just like to thank you and your team for the tireless and relentless work you have put in to exposing the tragically destructive flaws in JW attitudes to child protection.

For many years now, ex JWs have been trying to call attention to the problem, but this is the most robust and competent investigation I have ever come across. I am very hopeful that your efforts will have a positive impact on the lives of hundreds, possibly thousands of children. By cutting deftly through the Watchtower spin and deflections, you are giving victims of abuse an eloquent voice and standing up to those who would silence vulnerable children in a misguided attempt to protect the reputation of an organisation.

I'm sure there are times during this hearing that you want to scream, but your skill and professionalism is a pleasure to behold, and adds further weight to the solid arguments you make.

Thank you!
  • steve2
    steve2

To add to the flow, I had also sent Mr Stewart an email yesterday saying how impressed I was with his knowledge of the JW organization and the careful atention to relevant detail in his questions and comments during the proceedings. I also received a nice thank you reply.

I think he has to be careful in his responses and cannot accept gifts because it could be construed (by others, not necessarily us) as an attempt at unduly swaying the commission in its findings and recommendations.

Everything has to be not only 'good and proper' as it were but also seen to be 'good and proper'.

• Bruja-del-Sol
    Bruja-del-Sol
    I would be careful with publicly presenting the e-mail sent by mr. Stewart. In fact it's breach of confidentiality. I'm not so sure mr. Stewart will appreciate this, Viviane. I don't mean to criticise you, I'm just worried that your good intentions might harm mr. Stewart, while he's doing such a great job and even is so polite to reply to the messages he receives.
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Thanks for giving Angus Stewart's email address, Viv.

I've just sent him a message thanking him for the Commission's work in this case.

I also drew his attention to the WT term 'theocratic warfare', but unfortunately didn't give any references to WT literature.

Edit: here's my email:

Mr Stewart
    I've been watching the hearings and I'd just like to say thank you for the work you are doing.
    I'm impressed with your knowledge of JW terms and procedure - it seems that the Commission has done thorough research into this religion.
    One JW term I'd like to draw your attention to is 'theocratic warfare'. I'm sorry I can't give references from their literature but JWs believe that they can withhold information, act deviously, or out-and-out lie to people that they believe don't deserve to know the truth of a matter.
    JWs believe they are God's one true organisation and every other organisation is part of this world, thus under the influence of Satan.
    The JWs in this hearing would have no qualms in employing this strategy.
    What is apparent to virtually every non-JW is that child abuse is, first and foremost, a crime that must be dealt with by the appropriate secular authorities as soon as possible.
    Keep up the good work
    Kindest regards
    LoveUniHateExams

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit