Labeling one self "Atheist" is Unscientific

by LAWHFol 449 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Yet concerning the "gods" that have been worshipped throughout humanity's history, this statement by Stephen Roberts best sums up my position on the subject:

• I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. - Stephen Roberts
  • C0ntr013r
    C0ntr013r
    On what basis can science dismiss fairies, or is stating that fairies don't exist unscientific?
    You can't prove the non existence of fairies, if that is what you are asking.
    But since the argument would stem from; "fairies exist" the burden of proof would be on the person making the claim, so we would not believe in fairies unless the evidence is provided.
    What we would not do is claim; "there is no evidence for fairies, therefor fairies can't/don't exist".
    It is really a waste of time to argue this since it has been established as a logical fallacy. Here is a short summery of what it is and how it works:
    http://philosophy.lander.edu/logic/ignorance.html

As for it being a scientific question.
    Science deals with proving and disproving theories and hypothesis through evidence. And I don't think fairies qualify to be dealt with scientifically. Have some scientific paper or study been done about them? Since most don't believe in them it would be a waste of time.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

FMF: Or does it just mean they have replaced ignorance with knowledge.

The answer to your rhetorical question is of course obvious. And yet knowledge is always provisional and contingent upon further data.

I like the way you expounded on the Carl Sagan quotes I posted.

Morpheus: Which is where the label "athiest" [sic] gets dicey.

Exactly my point. BTW, it's "atheist," not "athiest."

• C0ntr013r
    C0ntr013r
    To be certain of the existence of God and to be certain of the nonexistence of God seem to me to be the confident extremes in a subject so riddled with doubt and uncertainty as to inspire very little confidence indeed

Yeah, good quote. Thanks!

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. - Stephen Roberts"

this ^^^^^

while I appreciate the teacher in you attempting to correct my spelling, thats a war long over and lost. If auto correct dosent catch an error im not going to either

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Morpheus: while I appreciate the teacher in you attempting to correct my spelling, thats a war long over and lost. If auto correct dosent catch an error im not going to either

Got it!

One of my best friends and fellow teachers has a coffee cup on his desk that reads, "I'm silently correcting your grammar."

I've not yet learned the subtle art of silent correcting.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

To the OP, maybe a better way to frame the issue is to say that it is unscientific to be dogmatic about things which can neither be proved nor disproved.

And yet, there remains this truth: There is no good reason to believe things about which there exists no evidence.

Consider what Bertrand Russell opined on the subject:

There can't be a practical reason for believing what isn't true! … Either a thing is true or it isn't. If it is true you should believe it, and if it isn't you shouldn't. And if you can't find out whether it's true or whether it isn't you should suspend judgment.

It seems to me a fundamental dishonesty and a fundamental treachery to intellectual integrity to hold a belief because you think it's useful and not because you think it's true.

Bertrand Russell Interview

• Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt
    _Morpheus,

In fact, most self identified athiests that i have come across, myself included, fall into a catagory of "not currently believing in god but willing to accept evidance of him should some presented".

Yes, even the most hardened atheists like Dawkins have stated that if there was sufficient evidence, they would reconsider their opinions.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Made me lol ob 😂

and that, saintB, is where the debated always rage. What is "evidence " in the minds of those that WANT to believe is vastly different than evidence in the eyes of those that question.

Page 7. Only 362 pages left to make your points people!

• Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt
    C0ntr013r,
    You can't prove the non existence of fairies, if that is what you are asking.
    That is a correct statement.
    Science deals with proving and disproving theories and hypothesis through evidence. And I don't think fairies qualify to be dealt with scientifically. Have some scientific paper or study been done about them? Since most don't believe in them it would be a waste of time.
    Since most don't believe in them
    1. So how did belief enter science?
    2. How did scientists get to that belief?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit