What to do Re:Hereditary Conditions

by Claudia Kittel 3 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Claudia Kittel
    Claudia Kittel

I don't know what to do in a situation that involves illness that runs in families. Let me explain. My husband, who introduced me to Jesus Christ at a time when I needed Him in my life, has a condition which he inherited from his dad, who died of it. My husband is taking medication and has it under control. Now, my stepson has manifested the first signs of it, and my mother-in-law is in denial; she does not want to accept that he has it.

I am anticipating the Christmas Holidays, and the surrounding celebrations; my mother-in-law will be taking care of her husband, who is having surgery, and I will be handling it myself. My husband has a troublesome brother, who has tried to become involved in the situation, and I don't feel he needs to be. My stepson's mother, whom I am constantly in touch with, does not want "our son" to be involved with this brother, and I don't blame her.

Can anyone suggest a polite rebuff in case something goes wrong?

Claudia

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Polite rebuff to whom?

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

To the mother-in-law?

Or the step sons mother?

And what do you mean in case something goes wrong? During the holidays when the two brothers are around each other?

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Plan a rebuff for something that hasn't even happened yet?

Sounds like you are worrying. Maybe be open and honest with the parties involved, that this is a concern of yours and lay out what you are doing to handle the situation, and about how they can help.

As for the mother-in-law in denial....is she in denial about her son having the illness as well?
    Perhaps you could call up a local health or mental health organization that publishes information on this particular illness and ask them to mail some info to your mother-in-laws address.

Perhaps it would help to arm her with information that will help diffuse some of her fears? And this way it would come from an outside source rather than from you so she can keep her dignity and might be more likely to read it?

Just a suggestion...you know her better than me.

Good luck.

SPAZ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit