Changes in Watchtower Literature

by FrankRaven 6 Replies latest jw friends

• FrankRaven
    FrankRaven

The quotations on this page clearly show how the Watchtower has changed its own history by re-writing its own literature in an attempt to avoid being revealed as a false prophet.

"That the deliverance of the saints must take place some time before 1914 is manifest...Just how long before 1914 the last living members of the body of Christ will be glorified, we are not directly informed;" (Studies in the Scriptures, Vol. 3, p. 228).

Rewritten

"That the deliverance of the saints must take place very soon after 1914 is manifest... Just how long after 1914 the last living members of the body of Christ will be glorified, we are not directly informed;" (Ibid., 1923 ed.)

"This calculation shows A.D. 1874 as marking the beginning of the period of trouble; for 1542 years B.C. plus 1874 years A.D. equals 3416 years. Thus the Pyramid witnesses that the close of 1874 was the chronological beginning of the time of trouble..." (Studies in the Scriptures, Vol. 3, p. 342, 1889 ed.)

Rewritten

"This calculation shows A.D. 1915 as marking the beginning of the period of trouble; for 1542 years B.C. plus 1915 years A.D. equals 3457 years. Thus the Pyramid witnesses that the close of 1914 will be the beginning of the time of trouble..." (Ibid., 1905 ed.)

"Also, in the year 1918, when God destroys the churches wholesale and the church members by millions..." (The Finished Mystery, 1917 ed.).

Rewritten

"Also, in the year 1918, when God begins to destroys the churches and the church members by millions..." (Ibid., 1926 ed.)

These are some of the writings foundational to Watchtower history, but what of more recent examples?:

"Also, as reported back in 1960, a former United States Secretary of State, Dean Acheson, declared that our time is "a period of unequaled instability, unequaled violence." And he warned: "I know enough of what is going on to assure you that, in fifteen years from today, this world is going to be too dangerous to live in." (The Truth that Leads to Eternal Life, p.9. [as published prior to 1975]).

Rewritten

"Also, as reported back in 1960, a former United States Secretary of State, Dean Acheson, declared that our time is "a period of unequaled instability, unequaled violence." Based on what he knew was then going on in the world, it was his conclusion that soon "this world is going to be too dangerous to live in." (The Truth that Leads to Eternal Life, p.9. [as published after to 1975]).

Note that this was changed after the significant Watchtower date of 1975, which was strongly hinted to be the date for the beginning of the millennium reign of Christ, failed to materialised.

"The apostle Paul was spearheading the Christian missionary activity. He was also laying a foundation for a work that would be completed in our 20th century." (w89 1/1 12 "The Hand of Jehovah Was With Them" [as originally published in the Watchtower magazine]).

Rewritten

"The apostle Paul was spearheading the Christian missionary activity. He was also laying a foundation for a work that would be completed in our day." (w89 1/1 12 "The Hand of Jehovah Was With Them" [as it appears in Watchtower bound volumes & CD-ROMs])

• blondie
    blondie

Of course, there is the difference between the 1982 edition of the Paradise book where those who died in Sodom and Gomorrah have a resurrection and in the 1989 where they are sent to Gehenna.

Blondie

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Blondie,

I guess they (Sodom & Gomorrah) know what happened to themselves????

Pity God's "spirit directed" organisation wasn't told, eh?

Cheers , Ozzie

• freedom96
    freedom96

These changes as posted, among others, is in my opinion one of the most damning things the WTS has done to itself.

Perfect for showing practising witnesses.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I've wondered about that 1/1/89 WT.

Was the writer really making a prediction, or was it something said "off the cuff" without enough thought, but that they later realized could be misconstrued, so they changed it for the CD-Roms and bound volumes?

The damnable thing about the matter is how Orwellian they were about changing it without any explanation. They could at least have been honest.

"In the January 1st 1989 Watchtower, there was a statement made that unfortunately is possible to misconstrue...it was not our intention to make any prediction or to set a time limit..."

That'd be asking way too much of them I guess, to admit having made any sort of blunder. Gotta keep up the facade of infallibility.

• fairy
    fairy

to them, it doesnt matter how often they change things, because it just means they have "gotten a better understanding".................thats the excuse they use.

• Buster
    Buster

Frank,

A few days ago I was reading some of those changes to the 'Studies in the Scriptures' spelled out in the 1915 Watchtowers. I was struck by the explanation. To paraphrase, 'the changes are subtle, and do not impact the overall meaning of the studies.' Back then, they considered that fact that Armageddon didn't come, that the world was still in place, that Christ actually came but stayed invisible, as all subtle incidentals.

False prophecy, no big deal you know.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit