This could only happen in New Zealand

by Mackin 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Mackin
    Mackin

Maori swamp creature delays road

Construction work on a major New Zealand highway has been delayed following warnings about a mythical river monster.

Work on one section of the new highway ground to a halt when a local Maori tribe warned of a swamp creature said to be living in the path of the new road.

The Waikato expressway is a 12-kilometre (7.5-mile) stretch of new highway over swamp land in New Zealand's central North Island.

According to the local Ngati Ngaho tribe, the region is home to a number of taniwha (tarn-ee-far) or guardian spirits.

Some say the presence of a taniwha might also explain the large number of fatal car accidents along the existing road.

Culture respected

Maori concerns about taniwha are treated quite seriously by New Zealand road building agency Transit New Zealand.

Transit spokesman Chris Allen says the highway agency will meet tribal elders later this week to confirm whether the highway is encroaching on sacred land.

Mr Allen says Transit has specific protocols reflecting the beliefs of local Maori. Reports of a taniwha are regarded as as serious as the discovery of human remains.

The company had already been advised of two other taniwha living near the construction route. However in both cases the taniwha were considered by Maori to be a satisfactory distance from the new highway.

Maori concerns about spiritual issues are becoming increasingly common in New Zealand, where Maori culture is enjoying a renaissance.

------

Mackin

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

The area must be tapu (sacred, cursed)....maoris are very superstitious....they will probably call in the tohunga (like a witch doctor) to lift the tapu. I'm sure the highway will be finished on maori time LOL.

~Beck~

• Englishman
    Englishman

Anyone know how the mighty All Blacks did in their match against England?

Englishman.

• Mackin
    Mackin

The All Blacks have been beaten 31-28 by England in a classic encounter at Twickenham. The inexperienced All Black team almost pulled off a remarkable late comeback after trailing 31-14 just after halftime.

Well, we have to let the poms win sometimes I guess.

Mackin

• Englishman
    Englishman

Mackin,

I have some good friends from the New Plymouth area of NZ. It's a country I want to visit, I understand that Lord of the Rings and Babe were filmed there.

It looks astonishingly beautiful.

Englishman.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit