Veterans Parade Today

by Sadie5 2 Replies latest jw friends

• Sadie5
    Sadie5

Hi All,

Just wanted to tell you about our day. Hubby had a job as a photographer for the Veterans Parade today. They had blocked off a section of the downtown business area. A guy dressed up like Uncle Sam walked through the crowd handing out minature flags. A variety of Patriotic songs filled the air.

Both hubby and I said it felt strange but good to be involved in the activities. We learned a lot about our little town. Eight of the town's young men were lost in Viet Nam. Their names are on the Wall. We have several WWII vets including a woman. A large portion of our veterans are Native Americans.

Poems were read, prayers were said for the lost and the ones serving in the military today. They also want to start the Blue Star Banner program, which is hanging a banner in the home of any family that has a service member.

All in all, it was a great day, made us feel proud of our little town. It seems like we missed a lot of heritage when we were JWs.

Sadie

• nilfun
    nilfun

Wow, sounds like you had a wonderful day! Nice post to read..

It seems like we missed a lot of heritage when we were JWs.

Yes. Even as a JW, for a long time I silently marked the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month...I have always felt indebted to the people that went away to war. I can't even begin to imagine what they went through...for us.

To all the veterans here....Thank you!

Edited by - nilfun on 9 November 2002 20:34:31

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

As a veteran myself, I can only tell you how much I appreciate the words above. It is next to impossible to relate what is like to become a veteran, but seeing the appreciation you have shown means a lot to me.

Men and women who served during war times don't expect praise and parades, but a thoughtful gesture occassionally given for their sacrifices makes me feel like my time was worth it. A smile or maybe just a small thanks when you see those in uniform today or meet a veteran makes us feel like our service towards freedom is appreciated.

Regardless of which side you may have served on, I extend a hearty Welcome Home to all veterans around the globe.

Lew W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit