Ohhh - what a laugh!

by Mr Magoo 7 Replies latest jw experiences

• Mr Magoo
    Mr Magoo

Hi'

It's been quite a while since the last time I was in here.

I don't know if any of you rememeber my story, but I'm a happy ung male atheist married to a lovely JW...

Last week I attended the study group with my wife - the I-don't-know-what-he's-called-but-he's-visiting-the-study-groups-from-time-to-time was going to be there and there would therefore be coffee, cake and cookies after the meeting. As I get along quite well with my wife's JW "friends" (some of them being my family in law) I attended the meeting just to take part in the social activities afterwards.

During the I-don't-know-what...'s speak at the end of the meeting he explained how telephone preaching could be used and blahblahblah..

In the end he then said "so are any of you interested in trying that?" - No reaction from anyone - not a nod, not a smile - nothing. (well only a young guy nodded and smiled as he met I-don't kno... 's look).

Ohhh, what a laugh. I would attend all study group meetings if I new that such an embarresing moment would happen every time.

Take care

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

The "I-don't-know-what-he's-called-but-he's-visiting-the-study-groups-from-time-to-time" is likely the Service Overseer.

One of the elders is assigned the job of whipping up excitement about the door to door bookselling work. He usually visits each BS group every few months. And yes, its like a party - coffee, cookies, and riotous good times for up to 20 minutes after the meeting.

By the way, good story. I've seen similarly welcomed suggestions.

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

No kidding Magoo. I remember the many times the elders would try to 'encourage' telephone witnessing and NOBODY ever wanted to do it. With the exception of a few pioneers who would spend all afternoon and end up making maybe one or two calls each. The rest of the time was gossip sessions. Telephone witnessing SUCKS way worse than door knocking.

• Bosho
    Bosho

Coffee and cakes?

We don't get that... never have!

I've been cheated!!!!

Although it does put me in mind of this dear old sister, must have been at least twenty-five years ago who used to set the table for the sisters giving third and fourth talks (?) (I was only a lass then so I'm not clear about which talks sisters gave !)

There was a pot of tea there and plates of cakes (all real) and they pretend knock on the door and up would get the householder "OH do come in, I've just made a cup of tea" and they'd sit there giving the talk drinking tea and eating cakes! What a hoot! I was so upset that I was never allowed to sample the fairy cakes!

There was also this time that one of the brothers dressed as a vicar for a presentation (Dog collar and all). I loved it, between tile couting and being absolutely terrifed of the "spooky hall" we had I really miss the good old days!

Oh and who remembers the break between the public talk and the watchtower so that the unsuspecting few that had tumbled in could make a quick getaway before the watchtower began?

And of course my favourite, the bit of music that played between the second and last verses of the songs... I was always making up my own words to sing then.... damn... now I'm teary eyed with nostalgia!

• COMF
    COMF
    each BS group

Well put, RunningMan. Very well put.

• undercover
    undercover

What's the number one irritant in most normal families routines these days? Telemarketers. Phone rings 3-5 times a night(or more). People wanting donations to every cause under the sun. Credit card companies trying to sell you something extra. Politicians and survey people wanting your opinion on something. Somebody, everybody selling something over the phone. JWs know this. They are harassed just like everybody else by telemarketers. Since phone witnessing hasn't been around as long as the other forms of preaching, it hasn't been ingrained into their brains. They still resist it because they don't want to be a nuisance to people on the phone. Now, if they could just realize that they are just as much a nuisance at the front door and in the Wal-Mart parking lot.

• maxwell
    maxwell

Oh we had the snack time, but our Service Overseer was such a serious guy. He would request that on his visits no refreshments be served. But out bookstudy would have a goodie night every month otherwise.

On telephone witnessing, yeah that was what I hated the most. I have always had no hesitation with hanging up on telemarketers. It was really tough for me to try the telewitnessing. I think some people have better phone voices. But my voice isn't all that sweet. Others people's voices just don't sound too serious and people would think it some type of phone prank. Anyway, glad I'm not worried about doing that anymore.

• dsgal
    dsgal

That's hilarious,Mr.Magoo,

Reminds me of when they use to ask for volunteers to help with the spring and fall cleaning of the kingdom hall,it was like pulling teeth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit