Quickest witness ever

by Jesus Christ 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Jesus Christ
    Jesus Christ

I was eating breakfast this morning when I heard a knock on the door. I went to answer it and it was an old guy that I used to know. He didn't recognize me (I have a goatee now) and he handed me the "Do you want to know more about the bible?" tract and asked me if I would like to know more about the bible? I handed it back to him and said "No, I already know enough not to believe in it." and walked back inside. I did think it unusual that he was by himself and wasn't working with anybody else this morning. I saw where he was parked and there was no one else riding with him either.

I would have argued with him more or had some fun this guy was always fairly nice and VERY long winded. What would be a normal 2 sentance answer at the WT study would turn into something 5 minutes long. I still remember one time he said the prayer at a Sunday meeting and he went off some tangent thanking dad for grass and how wonderful chlorophyl (I think that's how you spell it) is and how lucky we were that dad made it. Having to listen to this old man go on and on about anything again is something I gave up on when I stopped going to meetings and wasn't about to have to endure it again.

• SpannerintheWorks
    SpannerintheWorks

Hi, JC,

It does seem a bit strange that the man:

1. called at breakfast time (assuming it was 7-9am)

2. was alone

3. was very to the point with his presentation, instead of "good morning, I am calling on some people in your neighbourhood..." sort of intro.

You don't think (as he knew/knows you) that he wanted a one-to-one with you? To talk about things "unofficially?

Spanner

• SloBoy
    SloBoy

Just a side thought..... a Witness in our area said that more emphasis is being put on "informal, casual witnessing" instead of door to door. Perhaps explains why, when driving around our little berg, I hardly ever see 'em out and about.

• Valis
    Valis
    he went off some tangent thanking dad for grass

JC..he was right!! yes, please do thank your dad for me..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer of the "Sativa" class

• Jesus Christ
    Jesus Christ
    1. called at breakfast time (assuming it was 7-9am)

Actually, it was around 11 or so. I slept late and then just didn't feel like getting out of bed for a little bit.

2. was alone

Yeah, I thought that was a little odd too. Then again, this guy always did kind of do his own thing and most people didn't really try to argue with him too much because they knew he'd go off on one of his weird tangents.

3. was very to the point with his presentation, instead of "good morning, I am calling on some people in your neighbourhood..." sort of intro.

I think that more than anything he was just trying to get a tract in my hands before I had the chance to tell him to bug off. I actually remember him doing stuff like that a long time ago so I know its not a new thing for him.

You don't think (as he knew/knows you) that he wanted a one-to-one with you? To talk about things "unofficially?
    If I remember correctly, unless things have changed in the past few years this guy wasn't anybody important (i.e. MS or elder). In all honesty I think he probably would have actually started talking instead of trying to place one of his tracts with me. Not only that but had he realized who lived here he would have moved on like some of the other times I've seen JW's in the neighborhood do. Last time somebody actually tried to witness or anything at all to me it didn't exactly end up very well so I imagine I'm on their "only go to this house if you don't like life very much" list.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit