Today at 10:00am they vote....

by Shakita 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Shakita
    Shakita

The UN Security Council is meeting and expected to approve a resolution that would send the UN inspectors back into Iraq. This resolution is expected to pass 14-0 with one abstention, Syria. Inspectors could return to Iraq within 2 weeks. It seems that with "trigger words" in the language of the resolution changed to appease France, Russia, and China, they will come aboard today and vote with the US.

President Bush was quoted as saying "This time would be the 17th time that we expect Saddam Hussein to disarm; this time we mean it. This time, it's for real."(Italics mine)

The draft resolution reinforces the idea that the US would report to the Security Council before undertaking any military action against Iraq. Any failure by Iraq to cooperate will be reported to the council by weapons inspectors for assessment.

The US continues its stance that they do not need to get UN approval for military action. This resolution will not "handcuff the president" in any way.

If Iraq makes any false statements or interferes with the UN inspectors work, the UN would convene to "consider the situation and the need for full compliance with all the relevant council resolutions in order to restore international peace and security."

Iraq must give inspectors "immediate, unimpeded, unconditional and unrestricted access" to Iraq's presidential sites. Iraq must also give inspectors all records of its weapons programs since 1998, when they were last there.

My thoughts..........all that said, are we in for more cat and mouse games by Saddam? How long do we wait this time for Saddam to NOT comply, again? Any thoughts?

Shakita

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Wow!!! China is going to vote .... yes!!! to this. Usually they abstain (sorry about using that word).

hawk

• Shakita
    Shakita

hawk:

My information was pulled from CNN.com. No real quotes from China on this resolution. But according to CNN sources, this vote will be approved by a 14-0 vote, with Syria abstaining. Guess that means that China will vote to approve the resolution. China probably will probably play the silent partner here. "Agreeing to Agree" with the rest of the council. With the rest of the world on board, I guess they will join in with the big boys to disarm Saddam before he acquires those nuclear weapons he salivates over getting. If he doesn't have them already!

• Seven
    Seven

What's it been, four years since weapons inspectors have been in Iraq? Shakita, sounds like more cat and rat games to me. The inspectors have their work cut out for them looking in the most unlikely places-the third sub basement of the Baghdad Dunkin' Donuts for weapons of mass destruction. It's only a matter of time before Saddam once again fails to comply. I believe he could care less if they're involved in another war as long as it is survivable for him. Maybe we'll get lucky this go round and another one of his sons will defect and tip UNSCOM where he keeps the NBC stuff.

seven

• Shakita
    Shakita

It's almost 10:00am Eastern Standard Time.

To quote China's Deputy UN Ambassador, "the sunlight of unity is about to come."

All on board, Saddam will have 7 days to notify the Security Council of his acceptance of the approved resolution.

This, I hope, is the beginning of the end of Saddam Hussein's murderous reign.

• Shakita
    Shakita

The vote has been completed. The resolution has been adopted.

Iraq now must comply with the resolution passed unanimously by the Security Council.

If Iraq's defiance continues there will be "serious consequences."

Here we go...............

• Shakita
    Shakita

UN resolution - important dates:

Nov 8 - resolution unanimously accepted by Security Council

Nov 15 - Iraq needs to accept completely the resolution passed

Nov 25 - a dozen inspectors should be in Iraq at this point

Dec 8 - Iraq needs to give a complete list of all weapons and weapons programs

Dec 23 - A full staff of UN Inspectors must be allowed on Iraq soil to start inspections

Feb 21 - Key date - assuming inspectors have not been interrupted and were able to complete the inspection process -- the inspectors are to formally report back to the security council their findings

To quote President Bush, "The old game of cheat and re-cheat is over."

Words of warning by Prime Minister Tony Blair, "Disarm or face force." "No more games of hide and seek." "Defy the UN resolution, and we will disarm you by force."

Edited by - shakita on 8 November 2002 11:21:49

Edited by - shakita on 8 November 2002 11:32:33

• Shakita
    Shakita

Bumping this to the top, very important history being made today.

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Seven,

It is always a pleasure to see your posts.

***The inspectors have their work cut out for them looking in the most unlikely places-the third sub basement of the Baghdad Dunkin' Donuts for weapons of mass destruction***

LOL!

Just maybe Sadam will wake up to reality(Nah), if he doesn't his people may in fact do the job for us. Would be great eh?

Danny

• Seven
    Seven

{{{Danny}}}, It's been waaay too long. Great to see you here too! I'm enjoying reading your comments on various threads. Keep up the good work.

Seven

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit