Rules & Regulations.

by lulu 1 Replies latest watchtower bible

• lulu
    lulu

By chance I came across Pauls word at Galations.2: verses 3-6 inclusive, does the term Rules and regulations ring a bell anyone? Phillips Modern English bible, however any bible virtually the same.

• Matty
    Matty

Here are three translations of that scripture, including the one you mentioned. I suppose your point is how easy these scriptures can be applied to the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses? I doubt if they will ever see it though, they would no doubt apply this to "Christendom". They have frequently linked "the truth" to freedom; they use this term very loosely. I was told I was in the "freedom of God" pretty much all the time and never really questioned it. If you tell someone they're free often enough they might believe you eventually I guess, even if they plainly aren't.

Galatians 2:3-6 (NWT)

Nevertheless, not even Titus, who was with me, was compelled to be circumcised, although he was a Greek. But because of the false brothers brought in quietly, who sneaked in to spy upon our freedom which we have in union with Christ Jesus, that they might completely enslave us - to these we did not yield by way of submission, no, not for an hour, in order that the truth of the good news might continue with you

But on the part of those who seemed to be something - whatever sort of men they formerly were makes no difference to me - God does not go by a mans outward appearance - to me, in fact, those outstanding men imparted nothing new.

Galatians 2:3-6 (NIV)

Yet not even Titus, who was with me, was compelled to be circumcised, even though he was a Greek. This matter arose because some false brothers had infiltrated our ranks to spy on the freedom we have in Christ Jesus and to make us slaves. We did not give in to them for a moment, so that the truth of the gospel might remain with you.

As for those who seemed to be important whatever they were makes no difference to me; God does not judge by external appearance those men added nothing to my message.

Galatians 2:3-6 (JBP)

Not one of them intimated that Titus, because he was a Greek, ought to be circumcised. In fact, the suggestion would never have arisen but for the presence of some pseudo-Christians, who wormed their way into our meeting to spy on the liberty we enjoy in Jesus Christ, and then attempted to tie us up with rules and regulations. We did not give those men an inch, for the truth of the Gospel for you and all Gentiles was at stake.

And as far as the leaders of the conference were concerned (I neither know nor care what their exact position was: God is not impressed with a man's office), they had nothing to add to my Gospel.

(Edited for formatting problems!)

Edited by - matty on 8 November 2002 14:45:37

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit