Trademarks

by czarofmischief 6 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Thinking about how legalistic and lawyeristic the Society is:

Have they ever sued this site for using the domain name of jehovahs-witnesses???

Any masters or etc. that can fill a new dude in?

CZAR

• Englishman
    Englishman

Czaro,

I have wondered about this also. I guess that they just wouldn't want the negative publicity that disgruntled posters could throw at them.

This was in the Times this morning which shows how anyone can complain about others using what they consider to be their name. This is a case that involves a Football club that has been using the nickname "Posh" for over 50 years being dictated to by Victoria Beckham, ex - Spice Girl known as "Posh Spice":

Beckham's fight over Posh title By Sam Lister
    SHE may have the millions, the mansions and the moniker, but it seems that for Victoria Beckham life cannot get posh enough. The former Spice Girl is opposing a football clubs bid to turn its 68-year-old nickname Posh into a trademark.

According to Mrs Beckhams lawyers, her global association with the name is such that Peterborough United should not be allowed to register either Posh or The Posh.

The club, which is more accustomed to scraps with the likes of Wigan Athletic, said last night it was absolutely stunned and that being deprived of the name for merchandising would have crippling financial implications.

While Mrs Beckham who was thought to dislike her Spice Girl sobriquet has gleaned untold riches from football through her husband, Peterborough is faring less well.

It is second from the bottom of the second division and in the process of being sold.

Englishman.

• outnfree
    outnfree

Isn't it a case of whomever gets the domain name first wins?

Anyway, is Jehovah's Witnesses trademarked? I don't think so. Besides, they're the Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses or some such now, right?

outnfree

• Valis
  • SpannerintheWorks
    SpannerintheWorks

It's first come, first served with domain names.

With trademarks, anyone can apply to have a trademark registered, as long as they can demonstrate that it is an established "mark" of their business. This can be a business name, a product name, a logo - in fact anything that is recognised as "belonging" to a particular trade.

Spanner

• Simon
    Simon

It is not possible to copyright or trademark the name of a deity as far as I am aware.

For them to claim it, they would have to claim that it was not the name of a deity (least of all 'the' deity)

Every now and then we get some whacko dub who threatens some action but of course they never actually do.

I think using the word "WatchTower" is probably more dangerous.

• wasasister
    wasasister

I do recall sometime back local congregations were "asked" to remove the Watchtower logo - the actual watch-tower silhouette - from their stationary. The Society did copyright that much.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit