Robert and Russell

by TheOldHippie 2 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

I just found the use of names a bit "strange / interesting" in the Dec. 1, 2002 WT article on page 8, which back - translated is "At the Captain's table". It tells about the meeting between Captain Robert G. Smith of the White Star Line, and Charles Taze Russell. Captains nowadays are treated with respect, and I guess a hundred years ago even more so.

The article says that "Aged 24, Robert in 1894 took command of" ........"The talks with Russell aroused Robert's interest" ...... "Russell upheld the contact ...... (and) Robert's interest grew" ....."Robert told his wife" ....."Robert delievered speeches" ....."Robert passed on to his children"....."The message which influenced Captain Smith".

So apart from one reference, Captain Smith is always called "Robert". I just thought a Captain of those days whould be called "Captain Smith". Perhaps, then, he is called "Robert" because he was a brother, a JW. OK, but the other person in question is referred to either as "Russell" or also as "Charles Taze Russell".

So when one of the persons is called "Robert", the other is called "Russell". And when the first one is called "Smith", the other one is called "Charles Taze Russell", and when the first one is called "Robert G. Smith", the other one is called once again "Charles Taze Russell".

Why is the second person not called "Charles"? Or "Charles T. Russell"? Why "Robert and Russell"?

• Mackin
    Mackin
    Captain Robert G. Smith of the White Star Line

Was he the same guy who sailed the Titanic into the iceberg?

Mackin.

• stichione
    stichione

Mackin,

It might seem that this the case. But the captain of the Titanic when she struck an iceberg and sank was Edward John Smith.

FYI

Edited by - stichione on 6 November 2002 13:3:34

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit