It's a great time to be alive: 'Star Trek Impulse Drive' works and could get us to the moon in 4 hours. Mars in 70 days.

by cappytan 8 Replies latest jw friends

• cappytan
    cappytan

Yes, Star Trek Impulse Drive was click bait. But this British designed engine has been compared to that.

Interplanetary travel could be a step closer after scientists confirmed that an electromagnetic propulsion drive, which is fast enough to get to the Moon in four hours, actually works.
    The EM Drive was developed by the British inventor Roger Shawyer nearly 15 years ago but was ridiculed at the time as being scientifically impossible.
    It produces thrust by using solar power to generate multiple microwaves that move back and forth in an enclosed chamber. This means that until something fails or wears down, theoretically the engine could keep running forever without the need for rocket fuel.

Source: The Telegraph

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Sweet
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Beam me up cappy. Let's go!
  • marmot
    marmot

Human ingenuity is amazing isn't it? And this is just 110 years after we first took to the skies in powered flight.

Makes you wonder if ol' Jehover is asleep at the wheel or something, since he got so bent out of shape over a bunch of primitives piling bricks too high at Babel.

• Watchtower-Free
  • Vidiot
  • StrongHaiku
    StrongHaiku
    Great news. Very cool. If we don't want humans to end up being an evolutionary cul-de-sac, one of the things we will need to do is become a space-faring race.
  • _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

1) screw you for using my inner nerd to make me click on this

2) thank you for sharing, this is super sweet!

• Island Man
    Island Man
    The problem with this technology would be getting a feasible source of electricity to power the drive. At present, solar cells are a very inefficient means of energy conversion, where a only a minor percentage of the light is converted to electricity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit