Months of the year/Days of the week-Pagan Origin?

by nonjwalltheway 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nonjwalltheway
    nonjwalltheway

Why do the JW's still acknowledge the months of the year and the days of the week. I recall from my elementary school classes that the months of the year and the days of the week were named after roman gods and goddesses. The Watchtower preaches that a good Christian will not partake in anything that has pagan origins. They even have a ridiculous article on their website about cross country skiing and how it has pagan origins. Go to: http://www.watchtower.org/library/g/2001/10/8/article_01.htm. What the hell does cross country skiing have to do with religion? If these crazy people will have a problem with cross country skiing, birthdays, Christmas, Easter and any other thing that brings happiness to a person, then why do they still accept the months of the year and days of the week. On the front page of each new publication of The Watchtower they have the month of the year of the particular publication printed clearly. It seems to me that the The Watchtower is not preaching as it should or maybe they realize that significant parts of the English language also stem from Roman and Greek mythology and that it is impossible to outlaw everything. They probably also conclude that the months of the year and days of the week do not detract a JW from their Watchtower studies so they probably figure these pagan issues are not of grave importance. My conclusion is that they select celebrations, holidays etc. that could detract people from focusing completely on their Watchtower studies. By saying these instances are sinful and an act against God further strengthens the importance of this ridiculous religion in their member's life and keeps the organization strong.

• Solace
    Solace

I have thought of this myself.

The names for the days of the week being of pagan origin. Sunday being named after the "Sun God" Monday after the "Moon God" etc.

I think it all boils down to the WTS basically teaching whatever the hell they feel like teaching on that particular pagan day of the week.

• b_ster
    b_ster

Heaven: you mean "Moon *Goddess*" right?

Cheers,

b_ster

• Solace
    Solace

Haha

Whatever B,

Not really sure actually, just know I dont worship him or her.

• blondie
    blondie

Yes, nonjw, I can remember studying this in school. I did come home and ask my JW mother why we used pagan names for the days and months. Norse gods used by the Saxons in England (how they got into our language). She would probably give the answer at the end of this list.

Monday--Moon

Tuesday--Tiw--Woden's son

Wednesday--Woden--King of the gods

Thursday--Thor--another son of Woden

Friday--Frigga--Woden's wife

Saturday--Saturn's day

Sunday--Sun

January--Janus

February--Februra, festival of purification

March--Mars

April--Aphrodite

May--Maia

June--Juno

July--Julius Caesar

August--Augustus Caesar

September--Seventh

October--Eighth

November--Ninth

December--Tenth

Insight Volume 2

*** it-2 1065 TAMMUZ,

II

The postexilic name given to the fourth Jewish lunar month of the sacred calendar, but the tenth of the secular calendar. Thus, in the Targum of Jonathan the expression "the tenth month" at Genesis 8:5 is rendered "the month Tammuz." Tammuz was the name of a Babylonian deity. (Eze 8:14) The Bible record does not apply this name to the fourth month but merely refers to the month by its numerical order. (Eze 1:1) The name does appear, however, in the Jewish Mishnah (Ta`anit 4:6) and other postexilic works. The use of the pagan name Tammuz as applying to the fourth month, as well as the use of the other postexilic names, may have been only a matter of convenience among the Jews. It should be remembered that they were then a subjugated people, obliged to deal with and report to the foreign powers dominating them, and in view of this it is no strange thing if they utilized the names of the months employed by these foreign powers. The Gregorian calendar used today has months named after the gods Janus and Mars, and the goddess Juno, as well as for Julius and Augustus Caesar, yet it continues to be used by Christians who are subject to "the superior authorities."Ro 13:1

• jurs
    jurs

nonjwalltheway,

I cant answer your question. When I was a JW no one ever asked me hard hitting questions. As far as the article on cros country skiing...........that is sooooo JWish. They can find something wrong with just about anything !! I knew a family who DISCOURAGED (and bragged about it) their kids from READING any books that weren't from the organization. They said it was a waste of time that could be better spent reading spiritual material. No Nancy Drew, No Dr. Seuss No Nothing...EXCEPT My Book Of Bible Stories.....

jurs

• Kingpawn
    Kingpawn
    April--Aphrodite

So that's why they say "Spring--and a young man's thoughts turn to love!"

At my age, April stimulates thoughts of--love? Nope, taxes!

• Preston
    Preston

Hi nonjwalltheway. Thank you for reaffirming how hypocritical JW's are (if you're gonna reject all things Pagan, follow through all the way). I mean, big deal, just becaise the Pagans invented it doesn't mean it's all that bad (they were hill dwellers, not Satan worshippers...)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit