Patent on the Word "Friend"

by out4good3 5 Replies latest jw friends

• out4good3
    out4good3

What is this preoccupation that JW have where they feel they hold the patent and use of certain words? Take the word friend for instance. They are always talking about the "friends" this or the "friends" that, even when they are talking about people they don't even know.

I was talking to my still indoctrinated wife about something the other day and I reminded her that this is the day where we'll be going over to one of my friend's house for a cookout he's been planning for a couple of months. Out of her mouth comes,"Oh....he's your "friend" now??? Me, looking her dead in the eye letting her know that I'll not be intimidated, "Yes.....he is."

This is a guy I've worked with for a long time. We collaborate, help each other out and research solutions to work related problems. Though we don't spend any time together outside of work related activities, I consider him a friend more so than those elders who, under so-called divine inspiration, actively tried to talk me out of getting myself educated and raising my standard of living in favor pf peddling magazines door to door.

A real friend doesn't make association with you contingent upon whether or not you blindly follow some man made organization.

A real friend wont harshly judge you because you've made a decision about your life that runs contrary to their beliefs.

A real friend doesn't turn their back on you at the drop of a hat or the word of a faceless and nameless governing body.

A real friend doesn't look for reason's to rat you out to an elder body to curry favors and enhance their image.

The JW interpretation of "friend" is and oxymoron at best, an outright lie at worst.

What other things can you think of that JW's do that run counter to the real meaning of "friend"?

• SpannerintheWorks
    SpannerintheWorks

Hi, Out4good3.

I get a lot of "friend" or "friends" from my JW wife.

Another similar-meaning word is "auntie". Every "friendly" woman is "auntie so and so..."

Auntie is also used for potential new recruits, I've noticed. Getting them used to being called auntie... EVERY time their name is mentioned - forever.

Quick mention on another one...Jehovah. It has to be Jehovah God. Just in case He mistakes a JW referring to that other god, who is just plain old "God", so not the true God, Jehovah.

What a bunch of arrogant twits!

Spanner

• freedom96
    freedom96

I agree with out4good3.

It is awesome having real, sincere friends. I think that the witnesses way over use the word "friend."

There were many witnesses that I have met that I would never have as friends. Some I flat out didn't trust, (many for good reasons), and there were others that just were not my type of people. I would never catagorize them as "friends."

I never used that phraze when I was in, nor will I today. Either a person is a real friend, or they are not.

• Farkel
    Farkel

: They are always talking about the "friends" this or the "friends" that, even when they are talking about people they don't even know.

They stole that term from the Quakers. They've stolen almost every single one of their beliefs from others. If the Watchtower Society is notable for anything, its that they are not capable of any original thought.

Farkel

• gumby
    gumby

A real friend doesn't make association with you contingent upon whether or not you blindly follow some man made organization

Exactly. The parable of the good samaritan proved that. So did Jesus when he ate with "sinners" and was accused of blowing it. The dubs live as the Israelites did in the desert.....no mingling with anyone else! What a loving friendly bunch of people eh?

• SpannerintheWorks
    SpannerintheWorks

Farkel,

:They've stolen almost every single one of their beliefs from others. If the Watchtower Society is notable for anything, its that they are not capable of any original thought.

Yes, that was apparent right from the start wasn't it Farkel? With old Charlie Russell pinching the Seventh-day Adventist prophecies?

Spanner

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit