The JW's celebrate birthdays

by nonjwalltheway 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nonjwalltheway
    nonjwalltheway

I have a nagging question. JW's state that celebrating the birth of an individual is of pagan origin. Well, what about baby showers? A baby shower is a pre-birthday or the celebration of a birth that has not yet happened. Why hasn't the Watchtower made this illegal within their religion?

My wife and I are about to have a baby and her whole family, all extreme JW's, are throwing her a baby shower. My wife is not a JW and I, obviously, am not either. I, sarchastically, asked her why she was having a baby shower and if she did so weren't she and her family living in sin? This is a celebration that I'm sure will be soon outlawed by the Watchtower. They just have not gotten to this celebration yet. They are trying to take any focus that steers from serving them, The Watchtower, away from people and placing this focus on serving that ridiculous religion.

Anyways, this was just a thought and I wanted to see if anyone had the answer. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Nonjwalltheway

Edited by - nonjwalltheway on 1 November 2002 23:39:1

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

The rules kind of fluctuate. Anniversaries are ok too for some reason, even tho it is bringing undue honor to a couple when all honor belongs to Jehovah, and first century christians for sure did not celebrate Anniversaries...

It's sort of a pick and choose what to ban. I have no answer for you. I doubt any Dub would either, you might try asking the in-laws...hahaha~!

• Beans
    Beans

Hey don`t steal my thread man...............

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=39588&site=3

Beans

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

nonjwalltheway

great bio. nicely summarized.

welcome to the board.

SPAZ

• dsgal
    dsgal

They don't want to feel left out of EVERYTHING so they left a couple of things that it's o.k. to celebrate.Go figure.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

suggestion: Be sure and sign all your thank you cards with "thank you for observing our child's birthday!" or "thank you ever so much for the birthday gift!" LOL

• gumby
    gumby

A baby shower is a pre-birthday or the celebration of a birth that has not yet happened

Yeah, but

There was never any in the bible that was beheaded at a baby shower, or an anniversary....only at birthday parties. Plus! A baby shower is only done one time and not on a yearly basis like a pagan birthday party. Anyone who continues to celebrate birthdays will die at Jehovah's hands in the near future......really!

• The Firm
    The Firm

So if a baby shower or pre-birthday party is ok, according to your reasoning, then celebrating a 5th, 21st, 43rd, or any birthday is ok the day before as long as it hasn't happened yet. And you're right on one thing--a birth day happens only once. Someone isn't born again (ha ha, pardon the pun) each year. Therefore each birthday is really an anniversary because the anniversary is marked and celebrated each year.

Biblically, the "baddie" birthdays were only one in particular of Herod (maybe Pharoa), not every birthday. So if the Society bans all birthdays because of Herod, then they should likewise reject all of the apostles because of Judas. The only recourse for the Society is to attempt to estimate the nominal birthday year of Herod and ban that one, just as they exclude Judas as a "Witness". I'm sure they can do it--it's not like the "faithful and discreet slave" hasn't attempted date-pegging before.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit