Big Concepts That JWs Won't Even Allow Themselves To Consider

by JW_Rogue 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue

Because of the belief that the bible is quite literally the word God JWs must shut out many logical concepts and theories. It's not just evolution although that is a large one. I know when I was in there were certain concepts that made sense to me but I would try not to think about them too much. Here are a few:

-Morality as social construct

-Death as natural process

-The expansion and ultimate end of the universe

-The idea that life may exist on other planets (even if we may never be able to reach them)

-The concept that human intelligence could be transcended by an Artificial Life (singularity theory)

-The idea that multiple universes exist

Many of these ideas are fascinating and it's been refreshing to think about these things without thinking that something is wrong with exploring any idea to the full.

• marmot
    marmot
    Hear hear! I love letting my thought train run wild watching documentaries on string theory, multiverses, the size of our own universe and the like.
  • OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Well of course they don't think about those things. They can just point to me and say "he allowed himself to consider those concepts, and now look where he is! He's in the world!"

Thinking about stuff like that was definitely instrumental in my waking up.

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

** Morality as social construct **

I know a df'd jdub who was (like a few others I know) talking about living happily without the confines of structured religion, because he seemed to think that would be difficult. The concept that I personally make my own choices about Right and Wrong kinda blew his mind. I told him that once you peel away all the teachings and allow yourself to make your own decisions, it becomes readily apparent and a natural behavior to treat people well and have compassion for them as others belonging to the family of humans.

He reacted as if that was a new thought and I think he's still pondering the concept.

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue
    It also makes one examine whether it is a good idea to force your idea of morality based on your culture onto others who don't share the same values.
  • Bobcat
    Bobcat

The evolution/creation book had a picture in it of a building (the UN building I think) with the caption saying something like, 'explosions don't make buildings.' It was trying to relate that to the idea that the 'big bang' theory could not possibly be right.

I told one sister that in fact everything (including that building) was made with explosions or 'explosive-like' processes. Boy, did I get a weird look.

Bobcat

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Some concepts which I really though about were;

Worldwide flood??? I mean so many things around the World prove otherwise.

Extraterrestrial life.

Blood policy

Evolution. When you here about fossils and certain other things found. Even things in humans like wisdom teeth, and how our jaw bone is ''supposedly gotten smaller over time''

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue
    We were watching documentary the other day on Uranium and it one part it showed how Uranium formed in the Earth from the death of a star. My wife rolled her eyes in disbelief and I just thought it was so strange the things some people find unbelievable that are scientific facts. While at the same time swallowing all sorts of nonsense that has no evidence at all.
  • Captain Schmideo2
    Captain Schmideo2
    You want to talk big?

Okay, let's talk about Big Jobs!

The day After Armageddon, there's going to be more than dead bodies to clean up. I would suppose there would be the job of cleaning up the wreckage from all that equipment piloted by those evil worldly people, such as jetliners, huge shipping vessels, and what not.

I just watched on Nova, the PBS TV show, about the salvaging of The Costa Concordia, the passenger cruise ship that wrecked off the coast of Italy back in January, 2012. The operation was a complex job, involving the engineering and building of a surrounding superstructure, special custom made steel rods, inflation gear, concrete supports, and hundreds of specialized laborers. It took almost a year and a half to raise to a vertical position, and almost another year before they could float it out of the area. And the operation has cost a mere $2 Billion Dollars.

Now, multiply an operation like this by the hundreds, and think on how many of the "brothers" are high end engineers, architects, scientists, and the like.

I was at an assembly last summer, where all that had to be done on the last day was arrange for shuttle buses to get a few hundred to off site parking. It was a Mongolian Cluster F***. We ended up hailing a taxi and sharing with others that were stuck there 2 hours later than planned. Leaving a very large group behind still waiting. If they can't get a simple task done like this, under relatively stable conditions, how the hell are they going to do major restoration? Hand everyone a broom and pail? Judging from what I saw that Sunday evening, everyone who survive Armageddon will die within a week if left to the care of "those in charge."

Oh, wait, Jehovah's Special Magic will make it all work out.
  • JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue
    Some Elders have starting saying that we don't need to speculate about how things will work in the new order. Just try to be there, don't think about it too much because it makes zero sense. This explanation seems to work on most of the congregation. lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit