Should she depart..................

by Roski 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Roski
    Roski

Hello all,

Any ideas on the following would be appreciated.

1 COR 7:10-11

This scripture is used to say that to remarry, other than on the grounds of a mates (admitted) adultery, is to become adulterous and thereby be liable for disfellowshipping.

A husband and wife are admonished to stay together, however should 'she' depart, "let her remain unmarried". Apart from the obvious, that this text was written in a different age and for a different people (not intending to devalue the marriage arrangement/or loyalty to one's mate), does anyone have any idea as to other factors involving this text, eg -translation from the Greek, time and context of writing, etc.

Thanks

Roski.

• Buster
    Buster

The JW take on this topic is one of the most telling of their flaws. It is their approach to the bible as though looking at an elephant from four inches away. Most witnesses I remember took great pride in their individual and collective capacity to quote any amount of scripture snippets on any topic. They felt as though they knew the bible oh so well.

But I don't think I ever knew a JW that could step back and talk in a greater context, such as 'why the Apostle was writing this letter to this particular congregation', or 'what was Pauls' overall opinion of ... ?'

I think the first step to answering your question is to get the context: at least read the whole chapter. If you have time, read surrounding chapters and may be even the book. Somewhere along the way, go to the internet and get some non-witness (and I don't mean anti-witness) bible commentary. It only took me a few minutes to locate a handful of deeply-researched commentary on this specific part of chapter 7.

Okay, on to your question: Yup those witnesses trot this little scripture snippet out to show how a woman should stay with her husband thru whatever hell he puts her thru. As long as he doesn't commit adultery she's stuck. At one time (maybe still), even if he had sex with a goat in their bed, she wouldn't have cause - not exactly adultery, you know.

But more to the point, that scripture has NO bearing on remarriage. That scripture is an admonition to a congregation whosae members had taken up the cause of 'denial of the flesh' so zealously, that it was breaking up marriages. But he was also understanding, if someone did it anyway, or had already done it, that they should stay celibate, and maybe get back together later. They were not to use 'denial of the flesh' as an excuse to get out of the marriage. He was trying to keep marriages together - Paul was even telling them to tone down their religious zeal, stay married.

To use this scripture for the reason you cite is to take the scruipture utterly out of context. It is intellectually weak, and is telling of the JW moral weakness in that they do not feel compelled to understand it themselves.

This scripture has NOTHING to do with justifiable reasons for divorce. It has NOTHING to do with limitation on remarriage.

Let me know what you think,

- Buster

• onacruse
    onacruse

Hi Roski, and welcome to the board! Since I am now in exactly the position about which you inquire, I can say only this...

Paul himself said "there remain three things...faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."

ANYTHING done out of love is valid, and engenders no shame, before God or man. Especially so, when we consider "love" in the sense of agape, "love based on principle." It seems to me to be totally unreasonable to expect a caring sensitive person to remain single simply because of a Pauline statement (that may or may not be divinely inspired). Keep in mind that the Biblical canon was collected together and "officially approved" (by men) only after a period of many decades, and not without considerable debate.

imho, whatever Paul meant, and whether or not it was inspired at the time, LOVE must prevail.

for myself, I unequivocally hold my head high, and would willingly stand in front of the judgement seat of Christ without reservation or guilt.

Craig

• Roski
    Roski

Thank you both for your comprehensive replies. I did a quick search but found nothing, I will try again. Although this was my experience some time ago, I think it is about to be brought up again as a means of D/F - maybe. I have always been sceptical of the interpretation (before it was relative to me), basically because it just didn't make sense within the concept of a heavenly father. I feel particularly sorry for people with a young family, whose children may be denied the opportunity of a parent. Your explanations sound logical. Thanks, Roski.

• Buster
    Buster

Very much my pleasure. To find the commentary, I just went to google.com and searched for 'bible commentary'. This was on the first page of results: http://www.calvarychapel.com/cheyenne/Library/46-1Corinthians/1Corinthians0701.html I read some others too before I responded. It is horrible that this is used as a basis for DFing. But just as Ray Franz DFing went (have you read Crisis of Conscience), the meaning of the scriptures, context and all is quite irrelevant. It is just a ritual that they point out a scripture as a basis - it is no use to point out the the error. You break a man-made rule, and a man-made procedure will boot your sorry hiennie right out.

ONACRUISE: I'm just across the river in the 'couve

- Buster

• onacruse
    onacruse

Hiya Buster!

Sorry I can't make it to the Meet-up this Saturday...bikerchic is moving up here to Portland, so I'll be a little busy Perhaps you might like to do something like that (the Meetup, that is! LOL)? The link is at the bottom right hand corner of this page. We've got a veritable rat's nest of "apostates" in this area

Looking forward to meeting you!

Craig

• Buster
    Buster

Under Announcements, I found a link: http://exjw.meetup.com/ But I'm getting 'Page Cannot Be Displayed.' Is that what you meant?

• onacruse
    onacruse

Buster: yep. I just double-checked, and http://exjw.meetup.com/ should get you there.

Roski: Sorry for hijacking your thread

Craig

• Roski
    Roski

Thats OK Goofy (?)

(forget the cartoon characters....its been a while)

Roski

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit