Calling all Pioneers

by hamptonite21 7 Replies latest jw friends

• hamptonite21
    hamptonite21

If you were a pioneer and still have your book from pioneer school, could you please ck the section it refers too on holidays. I could have sworn during class that they said that birthdays were allowed, just the cake and singing were pagan. Am i wrong on this? It was about 6yrs ago, I lost my book! Damn

• simplesally
    simplesally

You don't need the Pioneer book........... See the Reasoning book or use the CD-rom.

According to JW's, birthdays are not allowed to be celebrated.

• hamptonite21
    hamptonite21

thank you sally, but that why I was asking for the pioneer book, I know what the reasoning book says.

• simplesally
    simplesally

I have the Pioneer book. There is no chapter devoted to holidays. Tell me the page you are referring to. I went to PSS in 93 and studied like mad.

Within the Pioneer Book there is no "special" information. If you recall, the book is mostly a book of topics with scriptural references... a book of questions. All the information that is cited is from material available to all publishers.

Birthdays are NOT ok for JW's....... no mention of the date Jesus is born. The thing about Pharoah, then John the Baptist/Herod issue are the ones that they use to say that only pagans celebrated b-days.

• kelpie
    kelpie

I went to PS in 94. I dont ever remember them saying that birthdays are fine. That is always one thing that makes J Dubs stand out differently from everyone else. Is the fact they dont celebrate birthdays

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I specifically remember at my pioneer school answering a question to the effect that celebrating a birthday was not a disfellowshipping offence. I can't recall the reason why the question was asked.

JW's believe by inference the Bible is telling them birthdays are wrong, but since there is no specific command not to celebrate them it is not specifically a disfellowshipping offence.

However you would not be entitled to hold "privileges" and you could get disfellowshipped on technicallities depending on how you celebrated your birthday or if you were somehow advocating and openly encouraging other JWs to do this.

Path

• simplesally
    simplesally

There is a difference between celebrating and recognizing. I know many witness moms that will allow that child to choose dinner, they recollect the day of their birth. However, they don't have a family party/gathering and have cake. No presents, etc. No elevating the individual.

I think a little party saying "thanks for living another year" holds no harm. I think it shows the individual how much you value them and their presence in your life. We had a party for my girl for just those reasons. We did not, however, sing the HB song or have candles. We did have a cake.

Now, most JWs would even say having the cake was wrong..... they are circular because pagans used to make round cakes to celebrate the moon goddess. That is not our perspective today, just as veiled women walking down an aisle dressed in white have no pagan inferences today!!

• hamptonite21
    hamptonite21

Pathofhorns,

I think that probably was the point that was made. Thanks you!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit