An elder, Chief MD in Honolulu clinic goes door to door. Testimony given at JW convention

by AndersonsInfo 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

http://www.pressreader.com/usa/honolulu-star-advertiser/20150725/281848642300889/TextView

It sounds to me like he was a JW before he became a physician. "Kalauawa, who became a JW 31 years ago, said he had to overcome a major conflict between his religious and professional beliefs, because JWs are opposed to blood transfusions. During his residency [medical training] he resolved the dilemma by having other doctors order transfusions. 'I can't impose my religious beliefs on my patient; I have to honor their wishes ... That way I wasn't violating my conscience.'"

In my opinion, it apparently didn't violate Kalauawa's conscience to go to medical school at the same time his religion disapproved of higher education. In fact, a man couldn't hold an appointed position in a congregation if he was in university because of setting a bad example for others, especially the youth.

Barbara

Comments please.

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

During his residency [medical training] he resolved the dilemma by having other doctors order transfusions.

Once the transfusion was ordered by another doctor, then in clear conscience he could go ahead and insert the needle and start pumping that blood.

"Another pint please"

• oppostate
    oppostate
    The human mind can rationalize just about anything when conscience and integrity are laid aside in preference of self-promotion and profit.
  • steve2
    steve2

Yes, it seems from the wording in the highly positive article that Kalauawa trained as a physician whilst either affiliated with or as an active Witness. Although I don't think he was raised in the religion - which may explain his untroubled access to higher education.

Back in the late 60s and early 70s, I knew some young people who were not raised in the religion but began studying with the Witnesses when they were either in the process of embarking upon their tertiary/university studies or alreadyon the path to gain their professional qualifications - almost to a last one, they continued in their higher education. On the face of it, it seemed anomalous that, as new JWs, they were "allowed" to access higher education without recrimination but their peers raised in the religion were not (I count myself in the unfortunate latter category).

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    a man couldn't hold an appointed position in a congregation if he was in university because of setting a bad example for others, especially the youth.

I bet they accepted his money, gave him pats on the back for his achievements, and down the road after it was said and done, made him an elder. Some things never change. "Don't go to college" is a cry they make because many will wake up and leave the Witnesses. So if someone dares to defy but remains with the JW's, well.....they are a huge asset.

The whole piece sounds like a propaganda story that Headquarters could have written (or at least dictated) adn submitted to the news. The article has not only the doctor, but a couple with a little girl afterward. It "normalizes" the JW's. I could write the between-the-lines stuff: "WE HAVE DOCTORS, THEY DON"T DEPRIVE ANYONE OF BLOOD." "He uses his education to his advantage in the ministry." "You should all average 5 or more hours every weekend and use vacations to put in more hours." "Drag your little girl in service until she finds it normal."

• wannaexit
    wannaexit
    There are always double standards in this organization. Why was it ok for this guy to go to medical school? Did he come from a wealthy family? I would bet that he came from a higher socio-economic status......lets face it , the rich get away with much more in this organization.
  • ToesUp
    ToesUp

As we were told by someone...."if a person decides to go to college to pursue an education and the education is used for Kingdom interests, it's ok." Really? BS! In other words..."if the org can benefit off your education, it's ok. We don't buy it! If your education can benefit you and your family, it's perfectly ok.

The hypocrisy is unbelievable!

• sparky1
  • sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

There was an elder/doctor in my congregation and he had veritable God-like status afforded him.

These people are apparently blind to their own hypocrisy.

• Asian
    Asian

What about JW nurses who are told to administer a blood transfusion per doctor's orders? Can they? Would his/her conscience prevent him/her from doing so? Could they be fired for not following doctor's orders? Could they lose their nurse's license? Any nurses/ex-JW nurses here?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit