DOES BELIEF IN THE BIBLE DESTROY ONE'S INTELLECTUAL CAPACITY?

by TerryWalstrom 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda

@jhine

I don't believe I ever stated that Christians or atheists don't work toward making the world a better place. In fact I know that atheists do because a lot of Jews are atheists and a lot of the humanitarian efforts I support have many non-affiliated atheists involved or even at the helm.

I can also list Christians, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists and others who are likewise involved in very important relief and support efforts as well or that I have had the pleasure of working with. I've worked closely with Catholic Charities USA for years for example.

My question to you is why would you raise this issue? I don't think I've ever inferred that others don't work toward the betterment of society. In fact, Jews know we can't do it alone as we make up only 0.2% of the population. The "you're-not-the-only-ones-who- do-it-you-know" comment puzzles me.

• CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda
    Postscript: Of course you could just be pointing out something that you missed from my previous comments or misread, so that could be the reason you raised it.
  • TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom
    Simply put: we can't learn what we won't learn.
  • jhine
    jhine

Calebinfloroda , it seems I have offended you , for which I apologise . I in no way meant to upset anyone .

I guess I was being sensitive and misunderstood your remark

" Jews believe that it is our responsibility to do this . This is what the "chosen " in " chosen people " means to us . We are chosen to be as G-d would act in there circumstances ". ( in relation to making the world a better place ) .

I do not know you or your experiences with other faith groups and should have found out more about you .

Jan

• Heaven
    Heaven

I feel belief in the Bible definitely hinders one's intellectual capacity. I don't think it destroys it in all cases. I cite myself as one such person. Luckily, I chose to be intellectually honest with myself and examine evidence. A requirement of faith is to abandon this, along with logic and reason.

At the very least, as LisaRose stated, people of faith are mentally lazy. At the worst, they are willfully ignorant, intellectually dishonest. Some become extremist/fundamentalist.

At some point, every single person of faith is confronted with factual evidence that refutes their belief/faith. It is at this moment that a person must choose to be willfully ignorant and intellectually dishonest or accept the evidence and begin the work of figuring out exactly what their faith really means.They are forced to step outside their comfort zone or remain in it and become insular and stunted.

Just because someone WANTS something to be true, does not mean that it is.

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

I struggle with the automatic status of "good person" accorded to a profession of faith.

What we hold to be true inside our widdle bwain is often at odds with reality. How many Mafia

members were devout in their Catholicism?

How many despicable millionaires have given lavishly to charity?

What makes us BAD is not what we believe--it is what we are willing to do and willing to accept from others

as necessary which tells the tale.

It seems to me, Faith is no guarantee of justice, kindness or benevolence any more than anti-theistic conviction is a guarantor of depravity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit