Would the discovery of EXTRATERRESTRIAL LIFE completely debunk the bible and religion?

by Black Man 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Black Man
    Black Man
    I think it would. Instantly. In fact, I hope one day soon that we somehow encounter extraterrestrial life because I think there would be a wholesale REJECTION of the bible and any/all religious institutions.
  • jw07
    jw07

It would for the thinkers and fence sitters. Many religious people would start finding other explanations to continue believing. JWs for instance may say it's part of the 'new scrolls being opened' teaching coming to pass.

If we merely observe extraterrestrial life without contact, or if the contact is 'friendly' then they may start teaching that it was just humans who sinned, and that the aliens still have a direct relationship with Jehovah, and that asking them questions (if we could communicate with them) would be rejecting our faith in the ransom arrangement.

They could also just come out and say that these life forms are just demons, or put there by Satan.

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

The JWs for sure, as well as all other religions would spin it off as New Light or a New Revelation from God’s as his overall purpose.

(1 Corinthians 2:9) . . .But just as it is written: “Eye has not seen and ear has not heard, neither have there been conceived in the heart of man the things that God has prepared for those who love him. . .

• scotoma
    scotoma
    Which reminds me... anyone know the whereabouts of Metatron?
  • sir82
    sir82

Religions have adapted to big paradigm shifts in the past.

Evolution, the earth is not the center of the universe, geology disproving a global flood, etc.

Extraterrestrial intelligent life would be a biggy, but it could be overcome.

I'd even wager that the "big" religions (Catholics, Orthodox, etc.) already have a contingency plan worked out & locked up in a safe somewhere.

• humblepotato
    humblepotato

I know some witnesses who ALREADY believe that there are other planets with intelligent life on them that Jehovah is working with. I hear people say, "What if there is another planet out there, where they didn't disobey, and they are living in paradise?" "Wow, cool!", is usually the response.

Of course, these are all grassroot ideas...official WT doctrine would say this is complete nonsense. But if intelligent life was ever discovered...they could get away with it by saying, "Well, the Bible never said there WASN'T life on other planets now, did it?"

Yay Watchtower writers!

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    There's plenty that's already debunked the bible, yet people continue to believe. I don't see why this would be any different. Sure it would shake some loose, but regardless of what happens I see no reason there wouldn't be bible believers for many, many generations to come.
  • John Aquila
    John Aquila
    humblepotato

I know some witnesses who ALREADY believe that there are other planets with intelligent life on them that Jehovah is working with. I hear people say, "What if there is another planet out there, where they didn't disobey, and they are living in paradise?" "Wow, cool!", is usually the response.

Wow, Just when I thought those inside the WT couldn't get any crazier.

Image result for wtf pics

• StrongHaiku
    StrongHaiku
    I can think of a realistic situation. It is possible we could find very fundamental life (e.g. bacteria) on Mars or some moon in the Solar System (e.g. Europa, Titan). If we were to find life, whatever way the JWs will try to spin it, should be supremely amusing.
  • prologos
    prologos
    good for these aliens, since Satan is confined here. so, count it as a privilege for this Earth to be the scapegoat planet of the universe.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit