Dub Sighting - 27 October

by SYN 4 Replies latest jw experiences

• SYN
    SYN

Geesh, there aren't that many Dubbies in my corner of the world, so humour me!

On Saturday morning I went to the shopping center down the road from my flat to make a quick telephone call at our local, heavily-overused payphone (no landline at my place). Anyway, as I was leaving the gate, guess what yours truly sees?

DUBS!!!

There was just this little red icon in the corner of my view, "DUB ALERT". No, really!

You could see straight away that they were Dub. It was soooo obvious. Now, Saturday morning was sunny and bright, with zero wind - and summer in Africa, at that time of the day, is BRUTAL. The temperatures were somewhere in the 30s (Celsius), and it was BAKING. It was a Dub Boy and a Dub Girl, although technically they were both quite far away from being Boys or Girls. In fact, the man looked like an Elder, considering the way he "admonished" and "guided" the Sister, he was most likely one, too. My Elder-alert senses are still very sharp, I could always single them out. It's the attitude, you know?

The biggest give-away was not the suit the Elder was wearing and the "sensible" dress the Sister was, but their walking speed! Good LORD! On my bike, it takes about 2 minutes to cycle down to the payphone, then I chatted with a relative for about 5 minutes, then I pedalled back up the hill. And they were only at the next house by this time! Bloody ridiculous! How on Earth can anyone stand walking that slowly? These guys were seriously putting in some time. It's weird too, because I'd never heard of people doing House-To-House (TM) on Saturdays. Perhaps they had some "new light" about that.

Oh well, just wanted to tell y'all about the most exciting part of my weekend.

You know you lead a sad life when the most exciting part of your weekend is seeing a pair of Dubbies. *sigh*

I was very tempted to go up to them and have a "conversation" about things like the 1995 Generation doctrine change, but I doubt they would've talked to an Apostate for more than a few sentences past the bit where I would inevitably say "Oh and I burned my Youth book three years ago, along with all my Watchtowers, because they were demonizing my home and making my couches float around and stuff". It was tempting to ask them to give me the latest Watchtower, but hell, what would I do with it? What's the point? Why waste more of my life examining the BS that the Tower defecates on a bi-weekly basis?

So, I spared them

Side Note: Betcha that Elder was suffering from what us insiders know as the "Stinking Suit After Wearing Said Suit In Really Hot Weather For Field Service And Meetings Too Many Times" syndrome...hehe....

[SYN], Boring Life Class.

• Matty
    Matty

Ah, the pioneer shuffle is such a giveaway isn't it? If they walked any slower they'd be going backwards! As well as the clothes and the behaviour, the style of dubbie bags are also a big giveaway. I love spotting (currently fellow) dubbies when I'm driving around or on holiday. Somebody should print a little book with the different types of suits and sensible dresses along with tick boxes. Well, nutty people do it with trains and airplanes, so why can't dubbie-spotting be a recognised leisure pursuit?

I also know about sweaty suit syndrome! If you do anything like the sound, attendant, mic handling, platform duties, you have to keep your jacket on, no matter how stifling the hall is, with predictable results.

• DINKY
    DINKY

Mental picture - floating couches - too funny!!!

Dinky

• snakecharmer
    snakecharmer

syn,

you should always get as much of their litter... uh i mean literature as you can from jws. its great for lighting the burn barrell or lining the bird cage and it saves some poor sap from the hell we all went thru.

• SYN
    SYN

Snakecharmer: Unfortunately I don't have birds, but we HAVE been running a bit short of bog roll recently... Then again, my ass is much too sensitive for that hard, stiff paper...OW!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit