Basic Bible and Religious Vocabulary the Watchtower Never Teaches

by CalebInFloroda 62 Replies latest watchtower bible

• CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda

@John Aquila

Generally speaking the answer is no.

While some might have this same understanding regarding the earth, Catholicism eschatology was inherited from Judaism's Olam Ha Ba and was in existence before the epistles and Revelation were composed.

Since Protestanism rejects Apostolic Tradition, the reading of Scripture occurs without this preconception. Some denominations will still read the texts about a "new earth" as literal, but most seem to translate these as views of heaven.

While I see it as problematic, the concept that personal salvation is central to Christianity seems to make many minds stop as heaven as their personal goal. It can either greatly focus the Christian in their desire to minister to the world around them or it can cause them to further draw lines of exclusion wherein heaven becomes an exclusive club for them only and those they see fit to share it.

• Earnest
    Earnest

Hi Caleb,

Not sure that I'd agree there is no difference between a translation and a version. For example, the English New World Translation is translated from the Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek. However, the NWT in all other languages are primarily based on the English NWT and I would consider those as versions of the New World Translation.

I understood the meaning of twelve of the words on your list but agree most Witnesses would not have that interest in biblical criticism.

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

Caleb

Since Protestanism rejects Apostolic Tradition, the reading of Scripture occurs without this preconception.

I'm beginning to understand why there are over 40,000 Christians denominations.

• CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda

@Phizzy

I am quite convinced that both the first and especially the revised NWT is the result of borrowing and lifting from other translations and lexicons.

However, what has been lifted from were word-for-word translations, and these are markedly different from paraphrase.

The Living Bible is a well-known example of a paraphrase, which puts the Bible is different words and idioms than what exists in the original text.

To illustrate, the current NWT rendering of John 17.3 is a translation. Even if this was lifted from another version like the NRSV or NIV, because these two Bibles are formal equivalence translations, the end result are the words of a formal equivalent translation.

A paraphrase of John 17.3 would read something like this:

"There is a key to getting to live eternally, but it's simple to find. If you have a relationship with Jesus, and really get to know him and the God that sent him to save you, then you have found that key to live forever."

That is a paraphrase. The word "key" doesn't exist in the original text, nor is the sentence concentrating on the "search and find" paradigm that is central to this paraphrase. But the meaning of the text does indeed come across, employing a different idiom and different vocabulary than chosen by the original author. It is very different from direct word-for-word and even thought-for-thought (dynamic) versions. The NWT always followed a general formal or word-for-word manner of rendering, never paraphrase.

In the end, however, a paraphrase is still a type of version or translation, so there is still no argument. It's just a different type of rendering, and it couldn't lend itself to the type of deep study JWs employed during the Franz era.

My theory is that the original NWT was a revised RSV, and the latest NWT is definitely the NRSV, sometimes shamelessly so.

• paradisebeauty
    paradisebeauty

@John Aquila

I found quite a few christian groups who believe in a 1000 year earthy reign of Jesus and the anointed christians.

Please google

one of them, that have a other similar points with jw's (no trinity, no eternal soul) are truthortradition.com or Spirit and truth fellowship stfonline.org

I also think there are some penticostals thst believe in a 1000 earthly Kingdom.

• CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda

@Earnest

If one renders the English text of the NWT into Japanese, doesn't someone have to translate? Regardless if it is translated directly from Japanese or the Hebrew or Greek text, it is still a translation...and a version.

The word "translation" does not mean "directly from Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek." If I translate for my deaf neighbor next door I never use any of those languages. I am using American Sign Language and English. It's translating because I am rendering one language into another.

The NWT and the NRSV and the NABRE are all translations, but they are versions that differ from one another. The terms are synonyms, and believe me that scholars and academics will laugh you to shame if you state the words refer to something different.

The Jerusalem Bible is an English translation of the original French Jerusalem Bible. Only the original French version comes from the original language texts, but the English JB is still called both a translation and version.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I agree with your use of the words Version and Translation as you explain them Caleb. But what the R&F JW's imagine about their Bible is far from the reality.

They have a vision of "JW Scholars" pouring over the "Original" manuscripts and coming up with the very best modern renderings by that method.

This is wrong on so many levels, there are no original (autograph) manuscripts, and to use the hard work of Christendom's true scholars and claim it as their own is downright deceitful. The WT/JW's have no scholars capable of real work on Bible translation.

They then compound this by changing the meaning of texts to suit their own theology with no scholarly support whatsoever in some cases, and scant support in others.

The original NWT and the Revised NWT are dishonest in the extreme.

• Earnest
    Earnest
    Caleb, the word "translation" does not mean "directly from Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek", but I think that is what most people understand when they see the words "Bible translation". I agree that the King James Version and the Revised Standard Version are also translations, but I am inclined to think that when a Bible is not translated from the original languages it is more honest to refer to it as a version rather than a translation.
  • never a jw
    never a jw

"My theory is that the original NWT was a revised RSV, and the latest NWT is definitely the NRSV, sometimes shamelessly so."

Caleb, can you give examples of the shameless lifting? I am very interested.

• CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda

@Earnest

"...when a Bible is not translated from the original languages it is more honest to refer to it as a version rather than a translation."

Again, that is a made-up JW definition of the term "Bible version."

Take for instance the New Revised Standard Version. The NRSV is considered the top-notch Bible translation in American English. It used an ecumenical translation committee made up of thirty men and women who are among the top scholars in the entire world taken from Protestant denominations, the Roman Catholic church, the Greek Orthodox Church and even a Jewish scholar.

Even though this is clearly a translation taken from the original language texts, it is called the NRSV" New Revised Standard Version. This could not be possible if your explanation matched reality.

Jesus and first century Jews spoke an Aramaic mishmash which contained Hebrew, and the Romans involved in the situation spoke Latin. Greek was the language to write things in, not speak. The Greeks had been conquered a couple of generations before, and it was a classical literary idea to keep Greek the language of written documents (the same idea that kept Latin the official language of the Bible for centuries to follow). Koine Greek was called the "lingua franca," a Latin term identifying it as the official written tongue of Rome.

But again, people did not speak or converse in Greek, not when the actual events of the Bible were occurring. As the "lingua franca" Koine Greek was the standard that everyone could translate from, like Latin today. If you write something that you want understood universally, especially in science, write it in Latin. (But even this is changing, and English is fast replacing Latin as the "lingua franca" in the 21st century).

This means that the Bible was a translation of the real events. And by your made-up definition no Bible translation could really be called a "translation." They would all be "versions." But the word "version" doesn't mean "not from the original language," it merely means "taking a unique or different form from another like it."

I have actually traced the origins of this Watchtower "legend," which is what it is. It seems to have originated in the 1970s, before my time, down in Texas with a popular Spanish elder or overseer who spoke English. This JW man gave a talk at an assembly or likely a convention, before even I was associated. The elder was talking about the difference between the NWT and recent Bible "revisions." What he meant to say was that the NWT was not a "revision" of a previous translation but was made directly from the original language texts. However, due to his poor English (and the fact that JWs did not use word-for-word manuscripts to deliver talks back then) the elder said "version" throughout the talk when he meant to say "revision."

This stuck and carried through Texas and many parts of the United States, but not all. New England and much of the East and West Coast was unaffected, and most Witnesses from these parts never heard of such a thing. There is also no mention of this definition in any Witness literature from the 1800s onwards. It was a mistake from someone who couldn't think of the right word, like a recent Governing Body member who said "Spanx," a brand name for women's shapewear when he should have said "yoga pants."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit