Editorial from Erica's hometown

by jazbug 9 Replies latest jw friends

• jazbug
    jazbug

I posted this on SL tonite. Thot everyone here may want to read it and hopefully be moved to respond to the paper.

The following article appeared in the OTHELLO OUTLOOK weekly paper on 10/3/02.(Town where Erica R. was molested; on Dateline report)

LOCAL CHURCH DOES NOT DESERVE TO BE HARASSED

Dozens of stuffed lambs were placed on Jehovahs Witnesses church doors across the nation two weeks ago to signify children purportedly raped and molested within the church.***Othellos Kingdom Hall was one o the church doors on which a lamb was placed. The church has been named in a civil suit through the US District Court against the elders of that congregation, following the conviction of local church member Manuel Beliz for the rape and molestation of Erica Rodriguez. Beliz was sentenced to 11 yrs. In prison.***Rodriquez, now in her 20s, claimed Beliz molested her from age 4 to 11 before her family moved to CA. She contends the abuse occurred as a result of WT policy of not reporting crimes and elder negligence.***She is not alone in her condemnation of the church. Seven other plaintiffs in the US and Canada have filed similar suits against their churches and WT.***But is the Othello cong. To blame? Rodriguez herself stated that the church knew nothing of the molestations until she moved out of state and told elders at her Sacramento, CA church, whom she alleges also molested her and threatened to disfellowship her if she went to the police.***Is putting a stuffed lamb on a church door the answer? That act borders on harassment and could, in the long run, possibly damage Rodriguezs chances in court.***Bill Bowen, the founder of Silent Lambs, an organization dedicated to fighting pedophilia within the JW church, along with soap Lake resident Richard Rawe, has been adamantly pushing Rodriguez and the others to file lawsuits against the church. The question is, whats in I for Bowen and Rawe?***Its one thing to fight for justice, but when that fight involves bringing notoriety to yourself rather than to the victims, how is that going to promote your cause?*** The Othello cong has been noted in newspapers nationwide and was the main focus of a report on NBCs Dateline in which the Othello water tower was prominently shown at the beginning of the report.***Is this any way for Othello to be seen by others across the country? Or any other city for that matter?***The church did not molest Rodriguez. Beliz did and he is now serving his sentence for that crime.***Its time for Rodriguez to move on with her life and for others to stop using her for their cause. She had her day in court and justice was served the Adams County Superior Court.

DOES ANYONE WANT TO WRITE A LETTER TO THE EDITOR?? Othello Outlook PO Drawer OOthello, WA 99344 Posted by jazbugSpokane.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I take it this was an editorial from a reader?

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Beliz did and he is now serving his sentence for that crime.***Its time for Rodriguez to move on with her life and for others to stop using her for their cause. She had her day in court and justice was served the Adams County Superior Court.

No. This will not stop until the criminals who made it happen are put in jail.

Erica: keep on trucking. the REAL criminals are not yet facing the justice they must face.

Teddie boy: you listening? You going DOWN, big guy. We got your number and we know about you. You going DOWN you freaking criminal.

Farkel

• wasasister
    wasasister

Question:

Is this an article by the newstaff? An editorial by editorial staff? Or, a contributed editorial by a reader?

HUGE difference!

• deddaisy
    deddaisy
    Bill Bowen, the founder of Silent Lambs, an organization dedicated to fighting pedophilia within the JW church, along with soap Lake resident Richard Rawe, has been adamantly pushing Rodriguez and the others to file lawsuits against the church

This is so obviously not written by a professional journalist. Who claims that Bowen and Rawe have "been adamantly pushing Rodriquez and the others to file lawsuits against the church?" Is this a joke ? The only ones that could claim this would be Rodriquez or the "others" and they certainly should be quoted as saying this as opposed to heresay just being printed !

in which the Othello water tower was prominently shown at the beginning of the report.***Is this any way for Othello to be seen by others across the country?

oh my GAWD, there goes Othello's hot tourism business down the drain......

Its time for Rodriguez to move on with her life

oh my, could it be Erica's therapist?

write the editor? we should bombard this writer, who has shown such disrespect for not only a molestation victim, WHO'S MOLESTER WAS FOUND GUILTY OF THE CRIME, but also shown an inordinate amount of disrespect for the justice system. (But the author did show concern for an inanimate object like a water tower.)

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

So this same writer is saying that the Catholic Church is not being named as guilty where their individual pedophile PRIESTS are concerned? Any organization that supports even by their absense of concern....pedophilia...IS TO BLAME. You might remind this "terribly offended" individual that during ERicas trial THEY ALL SAT ON THE SIDE OF THE PEDOPHILE AGAINST HER! So they can go stick it up their book bags sideways.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

This is rich. I can see the headlines now, "Wealthy denomination harassed by unscrupulous child victims".

This is obviously a letter to the editor. I suspect it was written by a JW or JW supporter, who is trying to sway public opinion a little bit. We shouldn't expect anything better from them.

How do the Witnesses get the nerve to complain about "harassment". They have picketed churches, written literature against specific religions, and intentionally tried to convert happy members of other religions. And how about harassing householders every Saturday morning?

Their attitude makes me sick. They think they can get away with anything they want, then when the tables are finally turned, they claim "persecution".

I think this article will backfire on them.

Keep going Bill, Erica, and others.

• jazbug
    jazbug

This was written by the Editorial Board of the newspaper. Again responses can be sent to Othello Outlook....PO Drawer O...Othello, WA 99344

It would be nice to bombard them with letters from all over the US. They'll really think that "water tower" made them famous.

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound

Grrr, what a wanker.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

The person who wrote this editorial was truly a troll. Agree with the wanker comment, TH.

ash

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit