Why so little on-line media?

by jws 7 Replies latest jw friends

• jws
    jws

I'm wondering why the WTBS doesn't do more in the electronic media form. They seem to have a few selected articles and such on their website, but by no means a comprehensive selection of literature, videos, etc. on line. Wonder why.

It would seem to me with recent efforts to reduce printing costs (going to paperback books), on-line books that people can download and print themselves (or maybe never print) would be cheaper. Maybe download them right to a PDA. And they can look identical with a PDF format. And if this stuff is supposed to be from God, through his faithful and discreet slave, why not make it openly available to the world? I can find Bibles online, why not WTBS literature?

Does the bandwidth cost too much - printing still cheaper?

Does it open them up to scrutiny by people like us who can use their own publications against them? Hey, if it's "the truth", why worry?

Are they afraid people will see just how wacky they are? That newly interested ones should only be exposed when somebody is there to steer them in the right (well actually wrong) direction?

Would that bring too many JWs on-line into that big, bad world of the internet? Where the WTBS is compelled to have an internet presense, but they really don't want the rank-and-file on-line?

Or are they really just greedy and know they can get more money/donations through print?

• Simon
    Simon

It's all about literature sales.

The Internet prooves that the WTS is in it for the money as what better mass communication system could there be? They can reach people in any country, any language and yet they choose not to.

They don't even put their past publications online (too embarrassing)

Without the love-bombing type recruitment they know that the doctrines and publications will not stand on their own.

• Dizzy Cat
    Dizzy Cat

To a degree, I reckon they view the Internet as part of Satan's evil empire as well. I know years ago there was great suspicion about net access amongst many people, JWs included ... so maybe, just maybe, it's viewed as a source of corruption.

• DJ
    DJ
    The Internet prooves that the WTS is in it for the money as what better mass communication system could there be? They can reach people in any country, any language and yet they choose not to

So true, Simon!!

• phatmonky
    phatmonky

i agree!!

• jws
    jws

I know all the donations and book sales (though cheap by bookstore prices) all add up and there must be incredible wealth being made. I think it was Franz that said people even leave the WTBS in their wills.

Guess I was never one to believe they were in it for the money. I just can't picture them in the same category as televangelists like Robert Tilton. I don't recall Franz making too much of it. If he did, I've forgotten (it's been several years).

Accumulating great wealth is one thing, abusing it is another. Guess I don't really recall hearing of abuse of it - which typically seems to go hand-in-hand with greed. I don't hear of lavish, rock-star style lifestyles. The men at the top no doubt live in comfort, but I would guess that whatever that is, it is still paltry by comparison to heads of other businesses.

I think a lot of it is driven by sincerity. If they were not sincere, and only in it for the money, why be so dogmatic? Why not create a religion that is more appealing? Why not encourage college so that your donors have bigger pocketbooks? Why kick potential donors out? Out of a potentially vast fortune, where is that money going? Is it sitting in bank accounts for emergency needs or future lawsuits? I think think that they truly believe most of what they teach and aren't just designing everything as a way to roll in more money.

If you want to look at them as greedy, certain things do add up. Why "loan" money for new Kingdom Halls, why not "give" it? Why not make media available for free on the web? Why fight so vigorously to avoid sales taxes and change to the donation policy for literature (to avoid taxes), if you're not in it for every last penny?

I personally lean toward the belief that it is a control issue. Like Simon said, the publications don't stand on their own. They need to be accompanied by somebody who is reinforcing those views. It's much like when I used to go door-to-door and say I was a Bible student, not a Jehovah's Witness, because the truth about JWs is scary. I would dance around issues, like never telling the householder, "If you don't become a JW, you're going to die". Their literature is meant, mostly for the believer, not for the public. Only certain literature is for the public eye. The rest needs an interpreter to lessen the impact of the BS.

• Farkel
    Farkel

: I'm wondering why the WTBS doesn't do more in the electronic media form.

They are just trying to follow the words of Jesus: "You received free, so CHARGE for it."

This is all Bible-Based.

Farkel

• heathen
    heathen

They don't want to throw pearls of wisdom before swine . That's what it is! yeah yeah that's the ticket!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit