Field Service Funnies

by TR 9 Replies latest jw friends

• TR
    TR

This happened out in door to door sales with me and another JW one morning.

We were in a run down neighborhood when we approached the door of a ramshackle house. As we stepped up to the front door, I could smell a strong odor of garbage and urine. I knocked anyway. A young woman with
    several diapered children answered the door. When the stench rolled out, it hammered me straight between the nostrils. I blurted out, "GOD DAMN"! Quickly, I handed the woman a pair of WT rags,
    then the young JW and I bolted from the house. We laughed all the way back to the car group.

I often wonder what the woman thought of the encounter, assuming she was oblivious to the stank that knocked us off the porch.

TR

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

I posted this under 'Elders Gems', but it's actually a service story!There were five of us sisters in a car group, my mother, aunt, friend, fellow pioneer, and myself. The pioneer sister, had a sister in another hall that had asked us to stop by this funeral home to visit the relatives of an older sister who had just died. This older sister had just moved to the area, and the family was from out of town, and she thought it would be nice for us to visit. Well, we were of course overjoyed for a break in the service monotony!

We go to the funeral parlor, with only the name of the deceased. We told the girl why we were there, well she was a bit dingy and takes us into this room. We walk in expecting to see a waiting room, with the family. Well it was the room with the dead sister. Had only ever seen one dead body, and was not prepared that day for seeing another one. The deceased sister was a 96 year old black woman in a beautiful suit. I was freaked out to say the least. My mom was looking at her and said, “she looks really good for being 96’, to which I responded, “she looks pretty good for BEING DEAD!”.

Well there we are in the room, the other sister signs the guest book, but we don’t know what to do. Do we stay do we leave, was the girl getting the family, what to do. Well we are your typical bunch of sisters, when we’re in an awkward situation what do we do, We get the giggles, really bad. We started laughing so bad because it was such an odd situation. Well at this point the girl comes back in and is rather distraught (we’re biting our lips to keep our composure). She said, “UM are you, I mean um, only fa..are you family, because only families supposed to be here?” Well let me tell you that was truly on of the greatest acts of self control I have ever exhibited. I was crying at this point trying to keep the laughing under wraps, so of course we looked like a very grieving group. We all just filed out, got in the car, and then we lost it, we laughed hysterically for 10 min at least, we were all crying. I mean it was bad enough then she asks the five of us (all white) if we’re family. Ohhh, we laughed about that for weeks.

Venice

• riz
    riz

TR,

I recall more than once knocking on doors and having men answer completely naked. That reminds me. I'm late for service.

riz
    (woohoo! class)

• Moxy
    Moxy

what a gyp, i never ONCE got a naked woman....

• hippikon
    hippikon

I used to get naked women all the time. But that was the east coast of Australia.

• TR
    TR

hippikon,

Why aren't you still going door to door?

TR

• Tina
    Tina

Hi Tr and all,
    Great thread here lol..........ok here's one I remember,,,,,,,,,
    A sister and I were out in service one afternoon,sloggin thru the neighborhoods.
    Around lunchtime we both had a taste for pork skins....soooooooo
    we go into a store,she walks up to the gentleman behind the counter and asks." Gimme FOUR SKINS!...........the guy says oh? fourskins huh? while meaningfully looking and winking at me ,,,,needless to say I couldn't wait to get out of there lol,cheers,Tina lol........

• BadAssociate
    BadAssociate

venny - can u post the gramps accidentally burning down the kingdom hall story?

i'm dying to hear it

badassociate

• Kismet
    Kismet

While pioneering in Quebec a lady opened the door completely nakkid. I tried to maintain my composure and I wanted to say "Obviously I've come at a bad time" All I got out was "I've obviously come ..... at which point I started laughing hysterically, the elder with me (French) didn't quite get what was so funny, the householder (Shudder...old theocratese still stuck in my head) started laughing & apologized for embarrassing us.

hmm now that I think about it...I kinda miss Quebec.... LOL

I was working with a 13 yr old sister (still in Quebec) when a guy answered the door, the poor little girl was supposed to take the door but this guy's bathrobe was flapping in the wind, exposing himself to this 13 yr old. She got all tongue tied and was turning 12 shades of red. I got into my protector mode, gently moving the little girl aside I looked down, pointed and laughed. The guy quickly covered up. I turned around took the girl by the hand and walked away.

In one part of town a lot of the houses had basement apartments in them. One home I knocked on the front door, this woman came out and started swearing and cursing us up one side and down theoother, then slammed the door. We "shook the dust off our feet" and went to the side door and knocked. This same woman opened the door and I presume in sheer frustration started laughing. My line?? "Its sure nice to see a smiling face, you should have seen the woman we just met earlier...."

My first year pioneering, it was a hot summer day mid afternoon. A guy answered the door. He told me "Okay you are one of those Jahova's right? (nodding) Tell ya what if you come out back by the pool have two beers my wife and my friends will listen to whatever you have to tell us. I was somewhat confused by this and asked for clarification. He said well you guys don't drink right? and he was laughing .. I told him I'd come back in about 10 minutes.. I told the rest of the group I was done for the afternoon. I went back preached while drinking two beers and then told him he had us confused with some other religion. thanked him for the beer and left. LOL

• hippikon
    hippikon

TR

It was too hard

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit