The Bible, Math and H2O Rick

by Thirdson 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Over on H20 our friend Rick is trying to get to grips with circles, spheres and basic geometry in an attempt to prove the Bible to be scientifically accurate. (I don’t see the point as the Bible is not a book of science and its history is often shrouded in myth)

All of this reminded me of a passage in a recreational math book called Beyond Numeracy by JA Paulos. In the book the ancient’s value of pi are compared. The Bibles value for pi (3) comes bottom of the list. In regard to this the book says:

Ancient estimates for pi include 3 (Old Testament – an insurmountable problem, it would seem, for biblical literalists) Beyond Numeracy page 176.

Maybe we should let Rick have a go a justifying the Bibles value for this basic circle related ratio. Just how round are round loaves in the Bible?

Thirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

Edited, removed Greek characters that didn't display with right character set.

• waiting
    waiting

Dear Thirdson,

recreational math book

That is an oxymoron in it's truest form, imho. Even better than the CIA.

waiting

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Thirdson,

Speaking about myths, look at you.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Fred:

Thirdson is a Mythter, not a Myth.

Expatbrit

• waiting
    waiting

rotflmao!!!!

mythus waiting

• Francois
    Francois

Yep. Pi. Three. Right there at 1 Kings 7:23. The "bowl" is ten cubits across, and thirty cubits all around. Or so it says there. If that isn't Pi at 3.0 I'll kiss Rick's royal red rectum in any public place he choses.

Ass hole.

Francoise

• f451
    f451

Firstly, a bowl is not necessarily circular in cross section.
    Secondly, the value of Bible is hidden, but in a rather straightforward way in the Bible.

http://www.greaterthings.com/Word-Number/pi.htm

The more you tighten your grip.......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit