JW Sentenced for Anthrax Threat

by blondie 4 Replies latest social current

• blondie
    blondie

I guess he must have been unrepentant because he was DF'd. Child molestors stay in good standing. I guess that is because only children are hurt and the whole congregation could have suffered (especially the elders) from anthrax.

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/local/scn-sa-threat2oct17,0,6130576.story

Man gets six months for anthrax threat

By David Gurliacci
    Special Correspondent

October 17, 2002

BRIDGEPORT -- A 71-year-old Norwalk man who threatened to contaminate courthouses and schools with anthrax was sentenced yesterday to six months of incarceration, but a judge recommended that he serve it in a federal halfway house.

Exactly a year after police received the telephone threat to contaminate the federal courthouse in Bridgeport and other buildings with anthrax, Judge Stefan Underhill sat before Fred C. Forcellina in that courthouse to sentence the perpetrator.

Forcellina had been arrested about 30 seconds after he hung up the telephone receiver, his lawyer said.

"I see before me a very good man who's lived a very good life, who did one of the stupidest and most shocking things that I've ever seen as a judge," Underhill said just before handing down his sentence. "What do you do in a case like this? It's not easy."

Forcellina indicated in his anonymous Oct. 16, 2001, telephone call that he was a Muslim, possibly from Afghanistan, and his threats were made in reaction to what the United States was doing to "my people."

He said anthrax had been put in the Stamford and Norwalk state courthouses, as well, and that railroad stations would be next, possibly followed by school buildings.

It was just a month after the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks and anthrax letters had started appearing in the news. A state office building had been evacuated after one false anthrax threat. Weeks later, a Connecticut woman died from anthrax contamination.

The police officer who received the anonymous call asked Forcellina who his people were, but Forcellina hung up.

Forcellina is Italian-American, and he has been a Jehovah's Witness since he was a child, said his lawyer, federal public defender Terence Ward. Since his arrest, Forcellina has been formally shunned by the Jehovah's Witnesses, Ward said.

"It would be hard to imagine a person who feels more shame and remorse than Mr. Forcellina," Ward said.

Forcellina has spoken before 30,000 people at a religious rally in Shea Stadium, and for two years before his arrest, he delivered food to a homeless shelter, seven days a week, Ward said. For five years, the lawyer said, Forcellina regularly visited people at a nursing home.

Forcellina was also successful in business, running a sausage factory for 25 years which employed 22 people at one point. More recently he worked as a real estate agent in Norwalk.

But about a year before he committed the crime, Forcellina lost his entire $3 million fortune -- "representing, basically, all his life's work, all his life's savings," Ward said.

He kept much of the news from his wife, Ward said. But on Oct. 16, 2001, Forcellina was due to appear in federal court in Bridgeport for a bankruptcy hearing. He would be losing the title to his home in Norwalk. He now lives with his wife in her sister's home in New Canaan, Ward said.

Forcellina's son, Todd, told the judge that Forcellina is a loving husband and father who is "always trying to take care of everybody else," and "he never really asked for help from anyone."

"There's nothing you could ask him to do that he would not do," said Carol Binny, a neighbor of Forcellina's for 25 years.

Forcellina was incarcerated for two months after his arrest, and that time is expected to be deducted from his six-month sentence.

After his release, he will be on probation for two years, during which time he must perform 100 hours of community service a year and receive psychiatric counseling as judged appropriate by federal probation officials. Forcellina can start his sentence the Monday after Thanksgiving, the judge said.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Robert Appleton said after the court hearing that he was not surprised by the judge's decision. Appleton had argued that Forcellina should be given a longer sentence than the six months indicated by federal sentencing guidelines.

"Deterrence here is the central issue," Appleton said during the court hearing. Appleton said he was concerned about what potential hoaxers might think. "A message needs to be sent that this activity cannot be condoned."

Forcellina said he was deeply sorry and, "I hate myself for what I said." He hopes anyone who even heard of his crime "can forgive me and . . . please don't hate me."

At the end of the hearing, after the sentence had been delivered, Underhill said he wanted to give Forcellina "a couple thoughts." He paused for a bit.

"You essentially asked for forgiveness," Underhill said. The judge said he wasn't in "a position to forgive" Forcellina. "I want to say, you're going to have to find that somewhere else."

Copyright 2002, Southern Connecticut Newspapers, Inc.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Well at lease those "elders" are cleanin' up their town.

Dismembered

• Tashawaa
    Tashawaa

It seems that it was pretty public... can't have a bad light cast on Jehovah's name. Who knows whether he was "repentant", he sounds pretty messed up, so he definitely can't be a witness. Hmmm, seems those who spoke out about child-abuse and made it public were df'd as well. As long as its "quiet", its OK.

• Maryo
    Maryo

Frederick Forcellina

Forcellina, Frederick
    Frederick Carmine Forcellina of Norwalk, CT, age 85, passed away on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 in Stamford Hospital after an extended illness. Fred was born on July 10, 1931 to the late Domenic and Rose Forcellina, and grew up in Norwalk, CT. He graduated from Norwalk High School Class of 1951 and met his wife Norma Jean Lengyel of Norwalk, CT while they were teenagers. They married in 1959 and celebrated 56 years together before his passing.
    Fred was a Jehovah's Witness and gained much joy and strength from his faith. From a young age, he enjoyed serving the local congregation as an Elder and travelling to various locations around the U.S. assisting in the ministry work. Starting in the early 1960s, Fred owned and operated a family-run business in Norwalk, A&B Sausage Company, serving the community for 28 years with products that are still spoken of highly to this day. In later years he became a Commercial Realtor in the Fairfield County, CT area, most recently working with Larry Katz of Katz Realty, Norwalk. It is hard to sum up a man who was extraordinarily friendly, loving and giving of his time and resources… he will be dearly missed by all of his extended family members and friends.
    Fred is survived by his wife, Norma Jean, daughter Tamarah Trautmann and husband Erik, son Todd Forcellina and wife, Emilie along with their sons, Jett Jackson and Cash Cameron. He is additionally survived by family members, sister, Mary Mazzuca of Stamford, CT and her husband John, sister-in-law, Edna Forcellina of Norwalk, CT, along with his nephew Glenn Forcellina of Bridgeport, CT, nieces Deborah Forcellina of Enfield, CT, Jonna Gabriele and husband Richard of Wilton, CT, April Betts and husband Wes of Lee, MA, and many other dear relatives. He was predeceased by his brother Ralph Forcellina.
    A Memorial Service will be held on Saturday, July 16, 2016 at 2:30 p.m. at the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses, 126 Newtown Avenue, Norwalk, CT.
    To sign an online guestbook, please go to www.magnerfuneralhome.com

Funeral Home

Magner Funeral Home Inc.
    12 Mott Avenue Norwalk, CT 06850
    (203) 866-5553

Published in The Hour from July 11 to July 15, 2016
  • JRK
    JRK

I wonder if he died from anthrax?

JK

Share this

Google+