IMITATE JESUS REGIONAL CONVENTION - BRIGHTON, WEST SUSSEX (UK)

by Nicholaus Kopernicus 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nicholaus Kopernicus
    Nicholaus Kopernicus
    Train, Trust, and Empower Others, as Jesus Does (Luke 8:1; 9:1; 10:1)

Speaker opened by stating that there was a need for "harvest workers" and "shepherds" as the worldwide membership of Jehovah's Witnesses is now 8.2 million. He then went on to state how Jesus willingly gave responsibillity to others and that this pattern would be considered further.

He briefly examined...John 1:3 - Jesus' role in creationIsaiah 50:4 - prophecy regarding the MessiahIsaiah 50:5 - schooling of the Messiah2 Tim 2:2 - Timothy urged to entrust responsibilities to "faithful men".

Speaker stated that Jesus trained, trusted and empowered his followers. He cited Luke 8:1 as an example of how Jesus accomplished such training. He then went on to say that there is "a tremendous need" for elders due to the increase in numbers of Jehovah's people.

He cited Luke 10:1 as exemplary of Jesus having selected 72 persons in twos ahead of Him. He also referenced verse 16 as evidence of Jesus' delegation of authority. He emphasised: "Jesus was not a micro-manager." The delegation was to be accompanied by tooling, the speaker said. He claimed that Jesus has delegated authority and the preaching work to the faithful and discreet slave. For this assertion though, the speaker offered no scriptural authority and it was not difficult for me to determine why this omission was so.

Of course, many elders that I know are deeply insecure and given to heavy projection of their inadequacies onto listeners such that they are responsible for the poor meeting attedance which they so disdain! Such insecure individuals have genuine difficulty in empowering others as the speaker suggests. Rather, many elders would see the empowering of others as very threatening. They could end up inadvertently appointing someone who would then be discerned as competitive and undermining.

Further, I noted that the sole reason given for there being a "tremendous" need for elders was the increase in numbers of "Jehovah's people". Again, I noted that other reasons were avoided - such as those who are repelled by the position and step down so to speak, as well as those who are marginalised for being human beings rather than yielding to the will of the GB in all matters. I sat there thinking of the November 2011 WT (one burned into my psyche) which states: "Of course, a brother does not have to be a ministerial servant or an elder in order to help others and have a full share in the ministry." What a rear and true statement from this magazine! A fleeting sinew of candour! I used this quote as a gentle reposte to those of an inquisitive disposition who asked why I was not reaching out. In any case, who would want to jeopardise their mental health by getting closer to the very ones who actually do micro-manage, who bully, who fault find, who tear down, and who portray a corporate productivity paradigm of ministry hours rather than Jesus paradigm of a load which is light and refreshing. Their paucity of elders is sure to continue!
  • Tornintwo
    Tornintwo
    In any case, who would want to jeopardise their mental health by getting closer to the very ones who actually do micro-manage, who bully, who fault find, who tear down, and who portray a corporate productivity paradigm of ministry hours rather than Jesus paradigm of a load which is light and refreshing. Their paucity of elders is sure to continue!

so true...I attended my rc a couple of weeks ago and I was actually encouraged by this talk and the anti-pharisee ones, it shows that they are well aware that there are serious problems with pharisaical bullying elders out there. The encouragement was momentary...... The problems are endemic and nothing is done to address them.

my kids (and others) were mistreated by a prominent elder and his pioneer wife, when I decided to swallow my pride and ask them for peace, I even apologized for anything we'd done to offend them (for the kids sake) I was called evil and a liar, I hadn't done anything to deserve that and frankly I was shocked, I have never, ever been called evil or a liar by anyone in the world! What was done about it? Sweet f.a., as usual we have to let it go and forgive, brothers are not perfect etc etc etc. He chummies up with his elder mates and they all look down on us because my son left the truth and is living a worldly lifestyle but still loving at home (only 16) and so my husband cant hold privileges. It makes me sick that these power loving narcissistic bullies get to look down on the genuine sheep in the congregation because they aren't part of the boys club.

Oh but dont forget, we have no hierarchy or titles in this organization ...ha ha

• Nicholaus Kopernicus
    Nicholaus Kopernicus

So sorry to hear of how your family has been treated. Truly eggregious! Jesus' illustration of fruitage is so pertinent.

Your husband is now able to have more time with his family without "privileges". He will hopefully see himself as embarking on a road to increasing freedom (John 8:36).

"Privileges" in this organisation come with a cost to one's health such that they're best avoided.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

The irony is that:

1) None come close to the level of micro-management that the GB/ORG practices. They even go so far as to claim that only they can correctly interpret scripture, yet they have a history of failure.

2) Like other corporations with disenfranchised workers, the WTBTS is realizing that micro-management does not work.

Their challenge is how remain the sole channel of God, ( a claim made by the Pharisees ) stop micro-management, and delegate to others. Unfortunately for them, these two positions are in opposition to one another. For example, they simply cannot allow input from others. Those others have been labeled as "professed anointed."

Like Sauron, the GB do not share power. However, they will use the unwary to accomplish their goals.

DD

• cha ching
    cha ching
    TorninTwo

I hope that you and your husband do not try to "live up to the standards" of these pious elders. Do not try to appease them, they will only suck the life out of your soul, and for what?

Reading many court cases that involve the WT & abuse cases, I see that there really is no justice... as one lawyer said, "there is just us."

The GB, the Borg, have trained the borganization, in the most part, to be just like them.... Rules are rules, money is money, who cares what happened to you.... Oh, and don't tell anyone about it or we'll DF you, you'll lose your family, kids, friends... maybe even your job.

They are very cold hearted. This happens everywhere, over and over. I've read of very sincere brothers travelling miles, spending all of their earnings to see the GB, to discuss in person the troubles they have had with things they've read. Do not be fooled. They do not care.

The best thing to happen to you and your children is to have your husband back, to have a family, create memories, live. Your 16 year old is way more important than them, invest your time with him. Once you & hubby are 'off the hamster wheel', you will be able to think, breathe, relax! Go on vacation with no guilt!

Let the ones who make the burdens have the burdens, and escape!

Hugs, Cha Ching

• steve2
    steve2
    How many in attendance at your regional convention and how many baptized? Appreciate any numbers you have. Thanks.
  • Tornintwo
    Tornintwo

Thanks cha Ching...

I'm all but decided that this can't be gods true organization, and even though I know so many things are wrong, it still hurts.. We were promised so much, a loving brotherhood closer then family, when reality hits it's painful. Venting here really helps...

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

You seemed to be paying a lot more attention than I was!

The fact that the best coffee was to be had from the mobile stall at Falmer station didn't help either....

• cha ching
    cha ching

I understand, Tornintwo.... it totally helps to vent...it all seems so unreal, but REAL.... I use to focus on "This has to be God's organization because we see "the love among themselves"... the "Worldwide brotherhood"..... Only when we actually see behind the curtain do we know who really is there.

Glad you are here, this is a great place! Keep venting! ;-)

• Nicholaus Kopernicus
    Nicholaus Kopernicus

Oh yes konceptua99 - a saving on the Amex stadium prices too! I nearly walked out for a coffee during the last item in the morning symposium - "Heal". They showed a vignette of a grieving father who lost his son to suicide. The elder was "helping" the individual to "heal" by teaching him to access either JW.org or the WT library CD rom on a laptop. Too technocratic for me in circumstances given. Humanity and listening was absent. Smacks of Peter Principle. I wouldn't use latter two resources to help anyone in those circumstances.

If this was an actual event which really did help someone then well and good. But to take that one event and recommend it as a generic intervention for such traumatised individuals can be cruel and unloving when what the individual needs is another's humanity, listening ear, time and support. One thing the WT won't do is recommend that an individual gets supportive counselling which the WT society disdains. One could make a case for arrogance on the part of the WT due to their expectation of individuals relying on the information which they publish to the exclusion of other sources of tried and trusted information and help.

This was a really difficult one to sit through, though I'm glad I did. To hear from an organisation advocating healing when it and its agents (elders - aka Temple Police) tend to harm is quite a paradox. This and the other talks tend to evidence the appaling quality of output from those in the writing committee. They too exemplify Peter Principle in that they are substantially incapable of encouragement, refreshment, or stimulation. The only positive thing I can discern at this time is that many more individuals will become aware of this organisation's entrenched nihilism and then cease contributing funds.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit