What about those who commit suicide???

by nogs 5 Replies latest watchtower bible

• nogs
    nogs

The WTS say that those who commit suicide commit a grave act toward God and will be everlastingly cut-off. Where does that idea come from and where is the compassion of ones when the person just could not go on living anymore????

I felt like ending it alot of times, the JWs made me feel ugly, stupid and unworthy individual, i lost all my confidence and never felt that anyone would want to marry me as i was so flawed. If I'd of done myself in it would not of been my fault, it would have resulted from the years of mental abuse of the WTS conditioning my mind.

Would I have commited the ultamate sin against God???

You see i was gonna kill myself anyway but couldn't do it because of my daughter, I didn't want to irreversibly effect the rest of her life, she would always wonder why her mum did the ultamate selfish act of killing herself and would have questions that would effect her the rest of her life. The conclusion I came to was to leave the witnesses and start a new life, even drastacally changed my appearance, I am now a blue eyed blue, and not a brown eyed brunette. I wanted the reflection in the mirror not to remind me of how ugly and studid i was. After all i am dead but only dead to the JWs.

Result---- I'm happier than I could ever imagine and looking forward to my score and twenty years!!!!

Please answer this one, friends

Love and support to you all
    Naomi

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Naomi,

Nice to meet you.

The WTS say that those who commit suicide commit a grave act toward God and will be everlastingly cut-off.

To my knowledge, suicide is not taught by jw's as a sin constituting "everlastingly cut-off." Suicide is taught as an act of murder. If you have a quote from the WTBTS showing otherwise, I'd be interested in seeing it. I know back before the '70s they taught as you stated, but not since then.

I had a very close friend commit suicide in '77, and his funeral was standing room only with jw's. He was well liked, but suffered from depression - before and after he became a jw.

Perhaps the jw's are responsible for all your feelings of self-doubt. But perhaps some of it was just an incomplete personality on your part? Sounds like when you left the WTBTS, you made some positive changes in your life - which helped you.

Whatever was your reason, I'm glad it worked for you. Enjoy your eyes, hair, daughter and yourself. Congratulations!

waiting

• Emiliano
    Emiliano

Hi Naomi,

That is great that you left the watchtower.
    The best thing you could have done to escape mental, and emotional
    abuse. Im sure the watchtower is the cause of many psychologial problems. I see a big problem in dialogueing with other people in this site. I think they have been brain damaged, I say this in true sympathy and not as a put down! But I see a lot of circular reasoning going on. If you have time to read the Spiritual Israel topic you may see what I mean. Anyways, it sounds like you are truly starting to enjoy your life. The great thing about being free, is that you have an infinite choice of people you can choose to be your friends. People who are not toxic to your soul. Positive people will enrich your life even more. Learn from your experince of having been in a cult, and use it to your advantage in preventing any negative group dynamic experineces.

I wish you the best and may God continue blessing your life. Keep the faith in God.

• doubtingsister
    doubtingsister

Naomi,

I truly believe that if God can read hearts than he would forgive someone for something so tragic and understand that a person who would commit it would obviously be in a deep depression.
    Pray to him and don't let anyone make you feel unworthy. God loves us and sees all the good inside, even when we can't. I believe God is love and that's why I can't go to the meetings anymore. It just doesn't make me feel good anymore. Lack of real love.

Of course, reading and learning from all the ex-jw sites on the net has helped me to realize I'm not alone and that the Witness organization has this negative effect on many. I'm just really, really tired of being made to feel bad my whole life. But, I'm not ready to dye my hair! :-)
    I might buy those leather pants I saw at mall last week though. lol

Children are a blessing and in this case a lifesaver. I don't know what I'd do without mine. They constantly remind us of how to enjoy life's little moments. I'm glad you were able to leave and make a new life for yourself. Your daughter was spared much pain and if you only knew how many others would have been hurt and guilt ridden you'd never even think about it ever again.

Have a wonderful weekend,

Anne

• rabotnik
    rabotnik

Hi waiting,

I'm curious. You wrote:

"I had a very close friend commit suicide in '77, and his funeral was standing room only with jw's.

Did they have the funeral at the kingdom hall? Back in the late '80s there was an elder who committed suicide and they wouldn't let the family have a memorial at the KH. I can remember being out in service and some were discussing his death as if he were a criminal. I just kept thinking he must have been in a lot of pain to do that -- also he must have been very alone. Then there was a young sister who committed suicide -- she jumped in front of a train. Everybody was in such denial saying it was an accident (? ... as if one could trip off an overpass as a train was coming?). She'd just been in a psychiatric hospital, been very despondent, and the police report said "suicide." Again, no memorial at the KH.

r.

• Zagor Almanah
    Zagor Almanah

I find it more disturbing to force a family member to refuse blood in emergency situation and hereby making the ultimate sacrifice. That is the most selfish act of idolatry I have ever seen. Do these people even think before they commit this act? They disgrace the giver of life and offer their sacrifice to pagan idol Moloch.

Ezekiel 18:4 Look! All the souls—to me they belong. As the soul of the father so likewise the soul of the son—to me they belong. The soul that is sinning—it itself will die.

Apparently they have no problem to commit a murder/suicide, since they think they have the sole posession of their life, but they forget that their life doesn't belong to them. It belongs to the one who gave it to them. They disgrace God by commiting this selfish kind of act.

Those who encourage them to do this abominable thing are just as guilty.

Matthew 7:1

1 “Stop judging that ? YOU ? may not be judged; 2 for with what judgment ? YOU ? are judging, ? YOU ? will be judged; and with the measure that ? YOU ? are measuring out, they will measure out to ? YOU

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit