Killer Cling Wrap
As a seventh grade student, Claire Nelson learned that
di(ethylhexyl)adepate (DEHA), considered a carcinogen, is found in
plastic wrap. She also learned that the FDA had never studied the effect
of microwave cooking on plastic-wrapped food. Claire began to wonder:
"Can cancer-causing particles seep into food covered with household
plastic wrap while it is being microwaved?"
Three years later, with encouragement from her high school science
teacher, Claire set out to test what the FDA had not. Although she had an
idea for studying the effect of microwave radiation on plastic-wrapped
food, she did not have the equipment. Eventually, Jon Wilkes at the
National Center for Toxicological Research in Jefferson, Arkansas, agreed
to help her. The research center, which is affiliated with the FDA, let
her use its facilities to perform her experiments, which involved
microwaving plastic wrap in virgin olive oil.
Claire tested four different plastic wraps and "found not just the
carcinogens but also xenoestrogen was migrating [into the oil]...."
Xenoestrogens are linked to low sperm counts in men and to breast cancer
Throughout her junior and senior years, Claire made a couple of trips
each week to the research center, which was 25 miles from her home, to
work on her experiment. An article in Options reported that "her analysis
found that DEHA was migrating into the oil at between 200 parts and 500
parts per million.
The FDA standard is 0.05 parts per billion." Her summarized results have
been published in science journals. Claire Nelson received the American
Chemical Society's top science prize for students during her junior year
and fourth place at the International Science and Engineering Fair (Fort
Worth, Texas) as a senior. "Carcinogens -- At 10,000,000 Times FDA
Limits" Options May 2000. Published by People Against Cancer,
On Channel 2 (Huntsville, AL) they had a Dr. Edward Fujimoto from Castle
Hospital on the program. He is the manager of the Wellness Program at the
hospital. He was talking about dioxins and how bad they are for us. He
said that we should not be heating our food in the microwave using
plastic containers. This applies to foods that contain fat. He said that
the combination of fat, high heat and plastics releases dioxins into the
food and ultimately into the cells of the body. Dioxins are carcinogens
and highly toxic to the cells of our bodies. Instead, he recommends using
glass, Corning Ware, or ceramic containers for heating food. You get the
same results without the dioxins. So such things as TV dinners, instant
ramen and soups, etc., should be removed from the container and heated
in something else. Paper isn't bad but you don't know what is in the
paper. Just safer to use tempered glass, Corning Ware, etc. He said we
might remember when some of the fast food restaurants moved away from the
foam containers to paper. The dioxin problem is one of the reasons. Pass
this on to your friends ..
To add to this: Saran wrap placed over foods as they are nuked, with the
high heat, actually drips poisonous toxins into the food. Use a paper
Interesting.. and I thought certain foods would kill ya.
.o0( things that make you think..hum)