The Oath of Hippocrates

by Bona Dea 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Bona Dea
    Bona Dea

I swear by Apollo the physician, and sculapius, and Hygeia, and Panacea, and all the gods and goddesses, that according to my ability and judgment, I will keep this oath and its stipulations -- to reckon him who taught me this art equally dear to me as my parents, to share my substance with him, and to relieve his necessities if required; to look upon his offspring in the same footing as my own brothers, and to teach them this art if they shall wish to learn it, without fee or stipulation, and that by precept, lecture, and every other mode of instruction, I will impart a knowledge of the art to my own sons, and those of my teachers, and to disciples bound by a stipulation and oath according to the law of medicine, but to none other.

I will follow that system of regimen which, according to my ability and judgment, I consider for the benefit of my patients, and abstain from whatever is deleterious and mischievous. I will give no deadly medicine to anyone if asked, nor suggest any such counsel; and in like manner I will not give to a woman a pessary to produce abortion. With purity and holiness I will pass my life and practice my art. I will not cut persons laboring under the stone, but will leave this to be done by men who are practitioners of this work. Into whatever houses I enter, I will go into them for the benefit of the sick, and will abstain from every voluntary act of mischief and corruption; and, further, from the seduction of females or males, of freemen and slaves. Whatever, in connection with my professional practice, or not in connection with it, I see or hear, in the life of men, which ought not to be spoken of abroad, I will not divulge, as reckoning that all such should be kept secret.

While I continue to keep this Oath unviolated, may it be granted to me to enjoy life and the practice of this art, respected by all men, in all time. But should I trespass and violate this Oath, may the reverse be my lot.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/doctors/oath_classical.html

"The first standards of medical conduct and ethics are those set down in the Oath of Hippocrates. Physicians graduating from medical school take this oath or the modern Lasagna Professional Oath."

-Pg 35-36 Administrative Medical Assisting 4th edition 1998, published by Delmar Publishers

The Hippocratic Oath has changed with the times, yet the classic Oath of Hippocrates is still used in some medical schools. Here are two newer versions of this oath:

http://www.care-nurse.com/creeds/hippo1.html (" I swear by Apollo the physician, and sculapius, and Hygeia, and Panacea, and all the gods and goddesses" is replaced by "I swearin the presence of the Almighty and before my family, my teachers and my peers" )

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/doctors/oath_modern.html (The Lasagna Professional Oath)

I am astounded that the WTS allows any of it's adherents to take this oath or even go into the medical profession because of it. You can not pledge allegiance to a flag, but you can swear by Apollo and all the gods and goddesses (the original Hippocratic oath)...or take an oath to the Almighty outside of their little society (the modern Hippocratic oath)...or make a "covenant" (the Lasagna Professional Oath) with the medical profession. Strange these people are. I cannot, for the life in me, understand their logic and reasonings...

Just my ramblings and observations...

• Valis
    Valis

IMO there are many doctors that have taken this oath and broken it in regards their dealings w/JWs...if say a doctor does not give a patient a blood transfusion because of some idiotic, misapplied bible verse, and the patient dies or suffers as a result,then they have violated their Hippocratic oath big time...just another thought.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Bona Dea
    Bona Dea

Valis, I hadn't thought of that. Honestly, it is really unfair for a witness to expect any doctor to break that oath. Not just for the matter of breaking his/her oath, but also the possible repercussions of allowing a witness to refuse blood. I can't remember the exact details, but not too long ago I can remember reading a news story posted here about a dr. who was being sued by the family of a JW woman who had died from some simple surgery. She had beforehand told the doctor under no circumstances did she want to receive blood. And there were unforeseen complications during surgery and she died. I wish I knew where that story was.

I didn't post this because I'm complaining that they do not discourage members from pursuing careers in the medical field (actually they just make it one step simpler by discouraging them from pursuing any career in any field) but just to point out that there are gray areas, pagan origins, fine lines in just about everything. Who should be making the decisions between what is clean and unclean, right and wrong in your life? You or a bunch of old men who claim to speak for God? Why can't they just do as the bible teaches and leave these kind of things up to individual consciences?

Edited by - Bona Dea on 14 October 2002 16:26:57

• Scully
    Scully

That's an interesting concept, especially the obvious hypocrisy of JWs who take those oaths.

Then again, when someone changes citizenship, they have to take an oath of allegiance to the 'new' country where they are seeking citizenship. What's the difference between that and, say, saluting the flag??

Love, Scully

• Valis
    Valis

Scull...one difference that comes to mind is the relationship between doc and patient. One can have a relationship w/one's country and neglect one's responsibilities, like JWs do, which doesn't effect the larger population as a whole, but where doctor and patient are concerned there is a matter of trust and collusion between both parties that is dissolved when the patient starts acting like they know what's best for them because some dumbass book says so...

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit